Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 PM

Default WSOP Main Event Hand vs. David Singer

Early in the 2nd level. I'm up to 12K after I took a weaker player to Value Town on the river w/JJ. I'm generally playing tight. Singer's been playing a ton of hands and has chipped up to about 14K. This hand comes up. I raise in MP1 w/A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to 300. Singer calls in the CO and so does a nondescript player in the BB.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

At this point I don't remember if I have a diamond or not, and I need to check. I announce "Hey everyone, I have to check to see if I have a diamond or not" since it was obvious what I was doing. The table chuckles, and David says "Are you checking for one diamond or two?" After we're done laughing I bet out 500. David raises to 1500 and the BB folds. I decide to call and reevaluate on the turn. The turn is a relative brick with the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check and David bets 2800. Unable to call here and with the potential to face a large river bet, I fold.

Given how he's played up to this point, I think David has a wide range on the flop. I have TPGK, and even though the board is monotone, I don't think I can fold to this flop raise.

By calling his raise on the flop, I should have made it clear to David that I had something. So which hands are consistent with how David played: raising the flop and continue strongly betting the turn? Nut flush almost certainly smooth calls my flop bet. 99 and 33 don't want a cheap turn so they raise, as does a small made flush. Something like A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with a K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would also reasonably raise this flop.

The Turn bricking and David continuing to bet strongly gave more information. I think a big ace with a high diamond kicker takes a free card here. This only leaves the made flush or a set, both of which have me crushed. Even if I'm up against A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (which is an aggressive line) David is still freerolling against me. I see no other choice but mucking my hand. Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:30 PM

Default Re: WSOP Main Event Hand vs. David Singer

[ QUOTE ]
At this point I don't remember if I have a diamond or not, and I need to check. I announce "Hey everyone, I have to check to see if I have a diamond or not" since it was obvious what I was doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG

it would be better to just pretend you did or didn't have one without looking than this, and it basically set you up for what happened.

I've got no clue what to tell you...you really got yourself in prime position to be outplayed here.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:34 PM

what adanthar said.

also, fold the flop.

also, "calling with the intention of reevaluating" in spots like those out of position, and this deep, is usually a massive spewtasm.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:41 PM

Yikes, on top of the mistake of announcing that you are checking for a diamond, you lead for 500? What was your thinking behind that?

I think you got worked here.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At this point I don't remember if I have a diamond or not, and I need to check. I announce "Hey everyone, I have to check to see if I have a diamond or not" since it was obvious what I was doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG

it would be better to just pretend you did or didn't have one without looking than this, and it basically set you up for what happened.

I've got no clue what to tell you...you really got yourself in prime position to be outplayed here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I concur. Certainly underscores the importance of remembering what suits you have PF. What do you think he had here (or does it even matter)?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:30 AM

You told the whole table that at best you have a pair.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG

[/ QUOTE ]

But if this reveals his hand so obviously would it not be a great move to this when Hero has the diamonds? Maybe I'll try this next time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 AM

Remembering the suits is particularly important with hands like AQ. I push plenty of hands preflop without lucky at my cards, so I would act without checking. Maybe you can look at them at some later time when it is not so obvious. Definately don't say anything. Singer's crack avout one diamond or two definately meant he was worried about a reverse tell and maybe trying to get a reaction if you had the flush. Obviously, a strong pro could and did take advantage of this information.

I would probably check/call this hand the whole way, rather than cbet, but that is not everyone's style.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:04 AM

Since you're going to bet this flop whether you have a diamond or not there's no reason to look until you have too.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:39 AM

I agree with the rest of what Betgo said.

The following Freudian slip is amusing to me:

[ QUOTE ]
I push plenty of hands preflop without lucky at my cards, so I would act without checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

-D.