Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Good/Bad time for a squeeze?

Hey what's up all. I came upon a situation in a MTT today that seemed like an okay time for a squeeze play but I need your help! So here we go..

No great read on the cutoff other than he had raised two of the last three orbits from the cutoff position and cleaned up w/o showdown. The button has been active from the button during my entire stay at the table. I wasn't particulary worried about the BB since I had him covered and he would seemingly need an absolute monster to play given the action in front of him.

CO ( 16655 in chips)
Button ( 12475 in chips)
Hero ( 8895 in chips)
BB ( 5170 in chips)
Blinds at 200/400 (25 ante)

Hero posts SB (200)
BB posts BB (400)

Hero is dealt 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Table folds around to the CO

CO raises 800 to 1200
Button calls 1200
Hero...?

Okay so a few things I want your opinions on.

A)Given all of the factors (chip stacks, my read on CO and Button, the fact that the BB is yet to act but I also have him covered) in this hand, can I be justified in making a squeeze play???

B)If so, how much do I need to raise in this situation for a squeeze play to be successful?

Thanks for any input.

Oh and sorry for the sloppy post. It's been a while.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Good/Bad time for a squeeze?

i like

CO seems to raise a lot, so he might have a large range. With btn cold calling, he can only call your raise with probably JJ+,AK. Only REAL person you gotta worry about is the BTN, who might be trying to steal pot from CO (as he is active)

I like
Old 08-30-2006, 08:39 PM

Looks like a good spot.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:22 PM

people who are saying they are worried about the btn ...why? from the info provided he has a fairly large range, even if he flatcalled.... the poster said he has been ACTIVE the entire time so what makes you believe that this push wont work? his range may be smaller than normal because of the flatcall but the word "active" makes me believe hes made a similar call before and the pressure could push him off a hand like aj or kq.. plus if the btn call it would cripple him so he very well could lay it down?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:52 PM

with the info you provided - this MY BE a good spot. the only raise you can make here is all-in.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 AM

At first glance I thought this would be a good spot, but I think there are a few things to think about here. I think CO's and button's chip stacks are the most important part here. You have enough chips for a squeeze play here and CO can't really play without a hand because the button behind him is a serious concern. Not only that, but button can't call you without a good hand too.

Now here is my problem with the squeeze play. Given your read, CO folds here most of the time and the action is on button. Button's range here is stronger than normal because of the akward stack sizes between him and CO. I think a lot of players will flat call here with hands like AJ, TT, 99, 88, 77, 66, even JJ, or KQ because reraising and being called puts them in such a bad spot if they whiff or the flop comes bad and 65s plays terribly against this range.

Those are my thoughts on this situation. I'd probably be more likely to make this squeeze if button had 8k or like 18k.

However, if you do decide to squeeze here, you have to shove.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:24 AM

OP,

so many people forget this when they post - what is _your_ table image? Also, has the button flat called raises before?

I agree with skier here, don't think this is a great spot, but not horrible either. A shove is the only play possible.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:06 PM

Does he have enough chips for a squeeze? Button is active and will be getting over 2-1 on a call (assuming CO folds). I see button calling here.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:47 PM

the reads look ok, but if for a second you think either of them are capable of calling you loose its just not worth it...you have to shove to make this move here
Old 08-31-2006, 04:26 PM

I think this is a bad time to squeeze, mainly because you will have to shove for it to work. Your shove will give both the button and C/O a little better than two to one. If you had more chips where a to $5500 or so could be scary I think a squeeze would be great, but I think the stacks just do not merit your attempt to squeeze here mainly because you are putting your tournament life on the line.