Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 01:48 AM

Default 5$ stars HU...great last hand

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t1540)
BB (t1460)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t100</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t160</font>, BB calls t60

Flop: (t410) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t320</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t1300 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t980

Turn: (t3010) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t3010) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

Results in gray below:
<font color="#f7f7f7">BB has Tc, Ac (two pair, Aces and Jacks)</font>
<font color="#f7f7f7">Hero has Js, Jh (four of a kind, Jacks)</font>
Old 08-30-2006, 08:22 AM

Default Re: 5$ stars HU...great last hand

You played this hand very badly in my opinion.

You min-re-raised him preflop? With jacks, you either want to call there and take a flop (if you are pretty confident you can outplay him and you dont want to flip) -OR- you have to make a nice re-raise in the range of 250-350. He checks to you on the flop and you make a healthy bet, which is good. If he didnt hit that flop and is not on a draw you're not going to play a big pot anyway. Your bet is a bit on the big side, but for reasons just stated, no big deal.

Your hand comes across as a brag. You mentioned no characteristics of your opponent or why you made the moves you did. You'll get better if you include those items in future posts.

With that being said, welcome to the forums.

Nichomacheo
Old 08-30-2006, 04:38 PM

Sorry, it does seem more like a brag with no info, was only the 5th hand of the match and was mostly doubling the BB and fold my villian till this hand came up... any preflop raise I made thus far he folded instantly...was glad to see a flop.

Thanks for input as well...I do agree my preflop reraise was weak
Old 08-31-2006, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do agree my preflop reraise was weak

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I'll butt in here and add my $.02.

Yes, your preflop reraise was "weak." And by "weak," I assume we all mean that it was a bad play. But it's important to understand not just that it is a bad play, but why it's a bad play.

Here's why: In general, most players have different ranges of hands. A players action is in great part decided by the power of his/her hand. Most players will raise with XX or better, but just limp in otherwise. And when a player raises, and gets reraised, they'll usually call with YY or better, and reraize with ZZ or better.
That's all basic stuff, and mostly background info to what I'm really getting at: by reraising there, you're giving away a lot of information about the exact strength of your hand. The real problem is that you're charging the bare minimum for that information. You could just call, as suggested by Nicho, and somewhat conceal the strength of your hand. Alternatively, you could reveal a bit more about the strength of your hand, and make your opponent pay for the information.

So basically, the minraise is "weak" because you're giving away information at a bargain price. Of course, it doesn't matter if your opponent isn't paying attention (as in this hand), but it's something to be aware of in the future.

Personally, I would have probably just called the reraise and played postflop with position. Had I chosen to reraise, I would have made it 250 or so, giving my opponent approx. 2:1 to play on.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:09 PM

Getting 6:1 preflop is huge odds heads up. Make that sucka pay.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:13 PM

ya, I really did play this hand quite bad...I really appreciate the input everyone has given me so far and was very helpful. I agree with both you saying to raise it up for roughly 250...woulda been a better move...Dromar I appreaciate your 2 cents as well, very insightful.