Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 12:18 AM

Default 5/10 Stud High (HORSE) - 3 High Cards

Hello, lurker for awhile. Crawling from under the floorboards due to Stars Horse...

Questions about the hand posted below:

1)In this case, due to the pot size 6th is auto muck, right? Maybe this guy has a pair of 3s and a four flush, but no way can I call this, right?

2)More interesting question for me is how to play the hand if the villain caught a hand like 7s on Sixth Street. Keep on betting? It just seems like I'm dumping too many BBs by continuing to fire in these situations. Check/fold with all those big cards and a gutshot? What is the standard or some guidelines for this situation?

Thanks

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (3.10 SB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.55 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (4.55 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (4.55 BB)
Old 08-30-2006, 12:22 AM

Default Re: 5/10 Stud High (HORSE) - 3 High Cards

I don't like betting 4th street.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2006, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like betting 4th street.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoping you would respond, I like your thinking.

But why not? Aren't there players that will call on 4th and then fold 5th if they don't improve? I don't want to show weakness.

What if I check and he bets?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:41 AM

You both ragged off on 4th so the bet is going to be automatically called - he probably has a pair of eights or some kind of pair. If he has something like 678, your check may get him to bluff later. If he does have a pair, the pot will be smaller when you both check 4th and you'll be more likely to take it down on 5th with a bet since you're offering him worse odds. Many won't bother to continue with a dinkish pair and a smaller pot. If 4th goes bet-call, it may hook him into going all the way.

I don't think betting 4th here is a huge mistake at all though with your hand since you can catch lots of good cards, but generally I think people bet too much on 4th when both they and their opponent rags off. This makes it less likely that your opponent will either make a significant mistake later or fold when you want him to later. Just some ramblings - I'm too tired to think about it anymore.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2006, 04:54 AM

Do you check/call fourth or check/fold if he bets? Checking 4th here just screams, ok Im lying I dont have a pair of Kings or any other pair for the matter, please bet and take me off the hand. This is ok if your plan is to check/fold, but if the plan is to check/call I like to lead.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:44 PM

Yes, you fold to his likely 2 pair.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you check/call fourth or check/fold if he bets? Checking 4th here just screams, ok Im lying I dont have a pair of Kings or any other pair for the matter, please bet and take me off the hand. This is ok if your plan is to check/fold, but if the plan is to check/call I like to lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the question I have as well. In fact this is sort of the issue I have throughout the entire hand.

Lets replace the 6th street card with a blank for the villain. What is the line for the hand for 4 broadway cards, but no pair?

It just feels as if I'm spewing when I bet the whole way and villain calls down with a single pair. But on the other hand, I wouldn't feel good about check/folding at any point. So I bet.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:58 AM

You were spewing chips - bluffing into someone who's calling you.

Your problem is that he defended his bringin (with a small pair?) for a reason. Determine what that reason was. If he thinks you were stealing, you're very likely *still* stealing. If he's a calling station then there's your reason. Bottom line, don't bluff calling stations, or players willing to take multiple cards off - simply value bet them to death. To be honest, I very likely check/fold 4th or 5th in this sort of hand, and I'm 100% done with it when he open-pairs 3's. There's nothing wrong with stealing, or "value betting" ace high in that early spot - however, throwing good chips after bad is a leak that should be plugged.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You were spewing chips - bluffing into someone who's calling you.

Your problem is that he defended his bringin (with a small pair?) for a reason. Determine what that reason was. If he thinks you were stealing, you're very likely *still* stealing. If he's a calling station then there's your reason. Bottom line, don't bluff calling stations, or players willing to take multiple cards off - simply value bet them to death. To be honest, I very likely check/fold 4th or 5th in this sort of hand, and I'm 100% done with it when he open-pairs 3's. There's nothing wrong with stealing, or "value betting" ace high in that early spot - however, throwing good chips after bad is a leak that should be plugged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I think this is a definite leak I need to plug.

But with my example, I don't see how I could possibly not bet once he catches 3d. If he has a flush or straight type hand he completely blanked.

Now what about 5th? I now have 4 broadway cards headsup. Would you check/fold 5th in this type of hand? The ace is a scarecard here and I now may get a fold. If he gets obstinate with a pair, I'm about even money even if he has one of my kickers.

7-card Stud Hi: 500000 sampled outcomes
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ac 5d Kh Qh Jh 240516 48.10 259484 51.90 0 0.00 0.481
8s Kc 8c 3d Ah 259484 51.90 240516 48.10 0 0.00 0.519

If he has a 4 four flush I'm also about even money:

7-card Stud Hi: 500000 sampled outcomes
Ac 5d Kh Qh Jh 248780 49.76 250973 50.19 247 0.05 0.498
Kc Qc 8c 5c 3d 250973 50.19 248780 49.76 247 0.05 0.502

Because of all this, I find it very hard to check/fold 5th.

Certainly 6th is a fold once he pairs 3s. But what if he catches 7s? I think I can check/fold 6th as I'm a big dog to a single pair and might be up against more. But I've heard its often a mistake to fold on 6th?

pokenum -7s kh jh qh 5d ac 6s - ah 8s 8c 3d kc 7s / 9c 5h 8h 2s 6h
7-card Stud Hi: 1190 enumerated outcomes
6s Ac 5d Kh Qh Jh 370 31.09 820 68.91 0 0.00 0.311
8s 7s Kc 8c 3d Ah 820 68.91 370 31.09 0 0.00 0.689

In general I sense this is a leak, but I don't see why I wouldn't keep firing on 4th and 5th in this specific example (even though some very respected posters tell me otherwise...)