Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 03:37 PM

Default difficult turn decision - could have been avoided?

This following hand is from a home game I play in. $15 max buy-in, $0.20 big blind.

SB
BB (~$20)
UTG
MP
CO
BTN: Hero (~$16)

Preflop:
SB post $0.10
BB post $0.20
Hero is dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, MP calls, CO folds, Hero bets $1, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, MP folds.

Flop: ($2.50) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets $3, SB calls.

Turn ($8.50) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB pushes, Hero??

I bring up this hand because I find myself in this situation from time to time, in live play and online as well, and I wonder if there is a way to avoid it.

Villain here is very capable of floating the flop to bluff away at a scare card, but I've seen him do this with a made hand as well.

My table image in this game is usually between TAG and semi-LAG.

My biggest question here is have I set myself up to be bluffed by my flop bet? Is there a better way to play my hand than I have?

As it stands, I see an easy fold with both a flush and straight possible, either of which are possible with my oponent.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Re: difficult turn decision - could have been avoided?

Your flop bet was larger than the pot and did basically announce your hand, but I don't think it was terribly out of line.

As it was played, yes, that is a scary board card, but do you think villain open pushes for 2x the pot here with a flush, straight or set? Would he do this with something like a pair of 8s and the A of hearts? Or even with air? I think we need more info on this guy to decide the hand, but the huge overbet looks a little fishy to me. As it is, though, I probably fold this as well unless I have a good read on this guy...but maybe I'm too weak tight.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As it was played, yes, that is a scary board card, but do you think villain open pushes for 2x the pot here with a flush, straight or set? Would he do this with something like a pair of 8s and the A of hearts? Or even with air?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well here goes my shot for villains range here:
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 (non-heart)
57 suited
suited connectors (hearts)
also, very possibly sc's that have missed or only paired.

I see him more likely to push all-in here with air (we're pretty close friends, so hassling me about it would be worth it to him), trips, or a straight, than the made flush because he could not want me to draw to a flush if I hold a high pp with a heart in it.

Although, it's definitely possible that he's pushing the flush here since I showed a lot of strength with the flop bet. He may expect me to call feeling he's bluffing.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:19 PM

Bet a little more preflop, I would have brought it to 1.20, other than that, there's really not much you can do on that turn, usually when a guy shoves all in on a flush turn card, he has the flush. The thing is he knows that you think your hand is strong and he's hoping that you'll call him down. I'd fold here.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:43 PM

Your flop bet tells you all you need to know.

Unless he had a sd, fd or trips it was incorrect for him to call.

You need to fold here.

I agree more info is required on your villian here, but let him have it and move on to a better spot.

You bet for value on the flop and with his call and the turn card and push, you are done. It is no longer a difficult decision because you know where you are and he knows where you are. And you have an idea of where he is.(I'm still lost though)

These are situations where you will usually lose a lot of money and rarely win a lot of money.

BTW, I've found that my home games have very few thinking players and I have to treat them like Calling Stations. I am only aggressive when I feel I have a big edge and if I am the one with the tough decision, then I did something wrong and need to get out and wait for a better opportunity.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:37 PM

How does the hand change if I hold the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] here? Or does it?