Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 01:39 PM

Default 5/10, \"Im lost\"

Been sitting for about 10 orbits. My image is pretty good as i'm playing about 19/16 type of game. Really aggro in late position, really tight out of the blinds and up front. Basically standard. I haven't clashed with villian yet and don't have real specific reads as I'm 6 tabling, but I have him at something like 32/8/1 type donkish player. I'm in MP and he's on the button. We both have full 1k stacks.

I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise it to $43 (standard for me) villian calls on button.

Flop ($101): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet $80, he calls

Turn ($261): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $200, he calls pretty quick.

River ($661): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I ?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: 5/10, \"Im lost\"

Valuetown. His stats are pretty passive and I'd rather value bet than try to get him to bluff a whiffed draw or vb a weaker made hand.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 PM

Check and hope he bets his missed draw. 89's the only one that got there. You could also bet thin for value vs. KQ/KJ/K9.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:02 PM

isn't Kd Kd, the nuts no matter what the game?

as it went i think i'd make a defensive style bet such as $250-$350, depending on if you're leaning more toward him having somelike like K 10 or some other stupid two pair; or $350 if you can put him on some pair lower than kings... it looks like there was a flush draw out there, so if you think you can check to induce a bluff, and then make a ballsy call then that would truly be one Hell of a play... like i said my first instinct is to always make some type of value bet against a donk, so all in all I think the defensive bet is best; just make that and hope you don't get re-raised (and in this situation you've got an easy fold) and pray that you get some really stupid call from KQ or KJ or something

also can someone explain to me the x/x/x numbers describing the villian? i've been trying to figure it out myself but i haven't been able to yet
Old 08-29-2006, 02:30 PM

a quick call could mean either a draw or a K imo depending on opponent. I'd just value bet 1/2 pot.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:38 PM

I prob. bet around $400
Old 08-29-2006, 02:39 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah, making a bet of about $200-250 ish and folding to a raise is exactly what i was thinking but it is not what I did. At the table I put him on a flush draw and checked to induce the bluff. He bet $499 and I called. He showed 89 for the straight. I quickly posted the hand and knew the correct line was a value bet.

PS. Whats up CTS? My SN is chekcalldown (just changed it). You and I were talking at the table the other day.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:46 PM

I think half pot is perfect for this guy fold to raise. The problem in this spot is he may check behind with his worse king. If he bets, you have to call after checking, and if he bets pot, eihter its hand that has you beat or whiffed draw. And since he's so passive, you hate to call pot bet as you're so often beat.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:32 PM

The thing that makes this interesting is his low aggression. Because not only will he likely show us late or very late that we're beat (if we are), but also he is less likely to bluff a missed draw; especially after we fire twice.

This type of player is apt to call 3 times however (KQ, etc); but not always a big bet.

A small not about his riverbet: he bets 499 (not 500); which from the level of thinking of this type of player probably means he wants a call.

One highly safe play would be to bet like 1/3 or 2/5 and fold to a raise. (..and then go through the horror of having to fold to a minraise getting infinite odds $#@$#$#).

This also doesn't give him a chance to check behind an inferior hand.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:50 PM

I think quick calls by this type of player means a draw most of the time (and this is not an exception.) I don't think a c/c is a bad play here, but I also like the small bet.