Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Lagtard on my left and I\'m lost

Last night I played about 100 hands on a PP5/10 table with a 96/60/1.8 maniac - on my immediate left. And the 60 PFR is a little understated since he was forced to call capped flops. Amongst other hands, he 3-bet 43o and capped 63o.

When he first sat down, I was OK. I had a couple of middling hands (KTs, etc) that I open raised, he 3-bet and I was HU against him. But after a couple of rounds, the rest of the table caught on and started 3-betting/capping with normal raising hands, and I wasn't able to isolate him anymore.

At this point I was completely lost. I kept finding myself playing ATs or 88 for 3 or 4 bets and having no idea where I was during the hand. I almost just got up and left the table, but I couldn't force myself with all these 15-20BB hands going on. How do people adjust to a situation like this?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Lagtard on my left and I\'m lost

If the table begins to threebet you/ cap light like this, you just have to tighten back up IMO. You are still in a very profitable situation. This is not to say that you should only be playing premiums; its just that AT or even 88 type hands won't play well OOP in multiway capped pots.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:43 PM

Bad situation overall. If the table is adjusting and iso-3-betting then all you can do is wait for big hands (TT+, AK, AJs+, KQs) and get in as many bets as possible; mix open-raises and limp-reraises.

Occasionally:
-you'll be able to play in the blinds.
-you'll be in the cutoff and able to open raise with an isolation-worthy hand (any ace, K9+, PP's)
-you can play for 1 (really 2) bets in late position if there are a lot of limpers, which will allow you to trap the field when you flop big.
Most of the time an ultra-TAG strategy is best, or just leave the table and buddylist the maniac if you're getting tilted.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad situation overall.

[/ QUOTE ] Not really. Just not as good as it could be.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:20 PM

HEPFAP has a section on this.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can play for 1 (really 2) bets in late position if there are a lot of limpers, which will allow you to trap the field when you flop big.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is specifically the situation that was giving me trouble. 3 limpers to me in the CO. I have 88 or ATs. Do I fold? If I just call, it's going to raised and, since everyone is working off the maniac, often going to get 3-bet and come back to me for 2 more bets. And I can't raise or I'll get (at least) 3-bet and end up with my implied odds destroyed.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:31 PM

seat change asap
Old 08-29-2006, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bad situation overall.

[/ QUOTE ] Not really. Just not as good as it could be.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I guess it's relatively speaking a bit frustrating to be on that side of the maniac when you are playing so few hands and especially when they don't hold up or you get frozen up by a 3-bet/cap from someone on the other side.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seat change asap

[/ QUOTE ] I hope you aren't suggesting he change tables. I agree with trying to get on LAG's left, but this just probably won't be possible online.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Tighten up your own playing standards, as mentioned above, but don't even think about folding any pocket pairs preflop. Reason being that, with the maniac going crazy on just about anything & the rest of the table assuming any bet or raise is just an isolation attempt against said maniac, your implied odds on a flopped set go through the roof. So yes, playing those pocket pairs will add a lot of variance to your game, but given the table conditions you described they are very much +EV...even if you have to pay 3 or 4 bets preflop to play them.

What you have to forget about are hands like medium aces, suited connectors, and most king high hands (I'd make an exception for KQs and maybe KJs depending on the circumstances). Offsuit broadway in particular just isn't going to fare well in this kind of environment, at least not below AQo. The only times you might be able to play more speculative hands (suited connectors mainly) are when it's limped/folded to you in the CO or later, assuming that your opponents haven't been doing things like limp/reraising to isolate on the maniac's late position raises.

This is a tough and incredibly high-variance situation to play in, but with some adjustment it can still be very profitable.