Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 05:29 AM

Default JJ facing wierd preflop action

This is my 3rd hand at the table. I've played with UTG before, he's kinda loose, calls reraise OOP too loosely. I'm not particularly worried about him sticking around, because I'm pretty sure he's repopping it here with QQ+ when the action gets back around to him. MP no reads, except that his betting has seemed pretty donkish despite not having gone to showdown.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($25.25)
MP ($27.93)
Hero ($25)
SB ($62.86)
BB ($23.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $10</font>, Hero...?

1) Push, fold, or call?

2) What do you think villian's range is?

3) If you say call, what is your plan for a A/K high flop? Q high?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:37 AM

Default Re: JJ facing wierd preflop action

It is weird I'd probably call and hope UTG comes along I'd push a non AK flop.

Pushing preflop is ok as well he could have AA/KK/AK or something stupid.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:51 AM

Fold and wait for a better spot. If you call you have a really tough decision on any flop that doesnt have a j. You arent getting odds to call for set value. You are probably a coinflip at best and dominated most of the time.

Calling and pushing any non ak flop is terrible

Pushing preflop is bad too. The only hand you beat that calls you is ak, but it is very likely that he has QQ+ here.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold and wait for a better spot. If you call you have a really tough decision on any flop that doesnt have a j. You arent getting odds to call for set value. You are probably a coinflip at best and dominated most of the time.

Calling and pushing any non ak flop is terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I think I am more likely to have a smaller pair dominated than being dominated myself. Who takes this line with QQ-AA? Positively whack.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who takes this line with QQ-AA? Positively whack.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's retarded, but donks do it.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:12 AM

I think that you are push or fold. Calling here leaves both of you too short to play for odds. Basically thats the only advice any of us can give you as the rest is read dependant. IMO I really don't want to see a flop because when a K/A/Q falls, I have no idea what to do. If you want to get your money in, best to do it as a favourite, and if you want to save money, best to save a lot than a little.

Remember, donks can't play poker:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($11.50)
Hero ($33.25)
BB ($51.45)
UTG ($21.15)
MP ($38.40)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $11.5</font>, Hero calls $8.

Flop: ($23.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: ($23.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($23.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $23.25

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jc Jd (two pair, jacks and fours).
Button has Ad Ts (two pair, fours and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins $23.25. </font>
Old 08-29-2006, 08:18 AM

Yeah you do have a small pair dominated, but he doesn't have a small pair here most of the time. A limp reraise at these limits is a big hand almost everytime. I would be 95% certain that youre up against at least 2 overs.

Edit: Yeah he could have something goofy like A10, and if he only had an $11 stack I'd call, but that isn't the case. He has you covered and I don't think it's a good spot to look him up.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:22 AM

1) Raise to 4-5 instead of 3. Fold when MP limp-reraises.

2) AA/KK a majority of the time. TT- almost never.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:57 AM

OK, I don't think people are reading the action right. MP didn't limp-reraise. That would be much less wierd. He called a raise and then rereraised after I raised. Much different line.

I think when this happens, it is usually a hand like AK or AQ that sees a lot of money in the pot and realizes he can make a scary looking bet, plus he has outs. I don't think I've ever seen someone do this with QQ+. Have you?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:02 PM

toybux, that's a clear fold.