Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 03:11 AM

Default Tough Spot with TT in SB

Villain is 18/15/2. I haven't been coming after his blind at all, so no reason to believe he is doing this on air.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($462.10)
UTG ($308.20)
MP ($447.40)
CO ($785.60)
Button ($610.20)
Hero ($974.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $13</font>, BB calls $11.

Flop: ($30) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $70</font>. Hero ?

Final Pot: $125

His most likely hand is two spades or some medium pocket pair. A set is not impossible. I think JJ-AA are very unlikely as I feel this player will reraise with these almost, if not every time. I really don't like any of my options at this point, but which one is best?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Tough Spot with TT in SB

You're right, that is a pretty tough spot.

I suspect that being OOP, a reraise here is the cheapest way to either win the pot or discover that you're in enough trouble to give up at any future interest from him.

The problem is that if you reraise and he has a flush draw, he's probably going to min-raise all-in, whether it's right to or not. He's also obviously going to min-raise all-in with a set.

If you just call, you're going to be check/calling turn I imagine - check/folding means you may as well just fold on the flop. Then you're in a tough river spot instead, and it'll likely cost you more to check/call again than it would to reraise the flop.

A fold on the flop, on the other hand, is certainly the safest option, but I don't know how often you're behind here. Your read does help, and kind of makes me think that a fold is right. It depends on what you think his image of you is - are you c-betting all the time (like me)? Are you folding to the flop re-raises all the time? I think that a fold may well be a good plan here.

Alternatively, raise to ~$210 and run away if he continues showing interest. I'd probably go for the latter as I steal a lot anyway, and want to worry people who want to play back at me. Plus you're quite often ahead.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:51 AM

I would assume he expects you to CB most hands, so the flop raise could mean pretty mush any pair or decent draw in my opinion.

I usually call to avoid that he is 4-betting a spade + overcards draw, then bet out on the turn.

I am not sure this is the best line though ..
Old 08-29-2006, 01:07 PM

I ended up 3-betting to $180. My thinking was very similar to Sciolist, that I am ahead most of the time, and folding sucks, as does calling and fearing half of the deck on the turn.

Anyways, he called and the Qh came on the turn, and villain has $280 left or so. What is my best option now, given there's now almost $400 in the pot?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:14 PM

Sigh he just called? I hate that. Imo with those stats he cant make that call with a draw. You are dead. C/F
Old 08-29-2006, 01:18 PM

id shove.