Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 11:20 PM

Default More ludicrous behavior at Harrah\'s NO.

Three really annoying characters at good old Harrah's NO last weekend. Please comment on how to deal with any or all of these characters. Game is 1/2 NLHE if that matters.

A) THE TALKER -- At some point during every headsup confrontation this guy starts talking about how he hates to fold his hand, he has the best hand, yada yada yada. It's clear he's not going to call under any circumstance. First hand after I was dealt in, the 6 seat called the clock on the guy. After about 3 orbits, I wanted to call the clock on him every hand he played. What's the right answer? I truly don't think he was really fishing for tells, just trying to make himself the center of attention.

B) The SLOW ROLL NIT -- This guy will not turn his cards up out of order. His standard play is to force the river bettor to show his cards first. Standard. He then immediately shows his cards no matter how badly he's beaten. Am I crazy or is this just complete WTF? behavior. If your going to show your cards regardless, turn 'em up. If your 34o making bottom pair board kicker is good, how much information can you get from seeing your opponent's cards? Once they don't hold up, at least try to muck them.

C) MR. IWTSTH -- Every significant headsup confrontation this guy wants to see both hands. We had a couple of huge bluffers at the table. One of them specifically stated he didn't like showing his losers. BTW, this guy is good enough that running him out of the game is +EV. His replacement will definitely be no better, and can't be more of a table captain/nit. I was tempted to call the floor over to ask that his IWTSTH privilege be revoked, but I don't like to be the guy at the table who does that.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Re: More ludicrous behavior at Harrah\'s NO.

[ QUOTE ]
B) The SLOW ROLL NIT -- This guy will not turn his cards up out of order. His standard play is to force the river bettor to show his cards first. Standard. He then immediately shows his cards no matter how badly he's beaten. Am I crazy or is this just complete WTF? behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, you are crazy.(just kidding). I would not consider this a slow roll. Don't blame the caller, blame the bettor for not turning his cards up immediately. After all, he did initiate the last action. Dems da rules. The caller paid to see them, so let's see them! I understand there is that "don't embarass the fish" factor, but if the caller want to see 'em, he has that right and it is definetly not being a nit.

BTW, this is ludacriss behavior.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
C) MR. IWTSTH -- Every significant headsup confrontation this guy wants to see both hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard at Harrah's.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:28 AM

I don't see the SLOW ROLL NIT. It seems he was waiting for the person called on the river to show his cards first (as the rules say it should be) and then immediately showing his hand, winner or loser or not. Since you also had MR. IWTSTH, wouldn't he demand to see both hands anyways?

Where was MR. ONE CARD FLASHER?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where was MR. ONE CARD FLASHER?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand this guy. This past w/e I was playing 1/2 NL and some douche turned over a Q which was top pair. Standard dealer line "I need to see them both to give you the pot". He flips over a K. WTF? Are you really embarassed about your K kicker? Absurd.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:34 PM

I'm surprised you didn't mention MR SUNSHINE, the guy with the huge drink who constantly table coaches, nits, and angleshoots.

Not much you can do about the talker, but whenever people pull the slowroll, I just ask the dealer who's supposed to show first, which usually settles it.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:40 PM

BTW, I dont mean to hijack, but there was a thread in OOT about the best "local" meals, and I feel like NO desrved better representation than I could give. If anyone has cool suggestions, please share them.

best local meals thread
Old 08-29-2006, 03:01 PM

TALKER -- you need to decide whether it is +EV to tell him to stop talking about his hand and just play... if he is a bad player, it may be better to live with it. If he is a nit who will go on tilt, tell him to STFU and play.

SLOW ROLL NIT - you are the nit and this is not a slow roll. This guy has the right to wait and see the other hand. If he chooses to show his hand anyway, good for him. Many subpar players (and older players who don't see the board so well) table their hands after seeing their opponent's hand because they are never quite sure whether or not they are beat.

MR. IWTSTH - kick him in the nuts. I hate this more than anything. People rarely do it where I play but when I was in LA, it was done frequently. In fact, when someone said they wanted to see my hand after I mucked, I personally grabbed the cards back and threw them down in front of him and said "who do you think I am cheating with?" He said "It's not that, it's that you are new to the game and I want to see what you play." I told him that the rule is not for that purpose, it is to expose collusion and that to use it for any purpose was inappropriate. Someone agreed with him and I said "Let's ask the floor." They backed down and said it wasn't necessary and they didn't ask to see my cards again... In your situation, either say something to the player or go talk to the floor on the side. If you don't want to talk to the floor, bite your tongue and live with it.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:36 AM

None of these players are +EV compared to the expected replacement. All were irking the table. I don't really see running any of them off as a problem.

Talker is not great, but it's time rake and we can get a fast retard instead.

IMO Slow Roll Nit is a moron. If you're going to show 4th pair, show it. If the bettor can't beat it, how much more information do you need? I understand he's within the rules, but the only reason to do this is to muck weak calling hands. This guy is legally correct, but his behavior was just beyond strange and without any valid purpose.

Mr. IWTSTH -- I agree. I didn't call the floor because he will give it up with an overpair to a massive overbet by a set. He's probably one of the better players at the table, but I know his weakness and his tell when it happens.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:40 AM

I didn't post on MR. SUNSHINE because I've already bored the board with his BS before. If you wish I can give a monthly post of all the irritating crap I've seen him do in the past month. IMO this will get old pretty quickly, but if you want to read it I'll try to write it.