Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 09:25 PM

Default 17 incher laptops a little too big for college classes?

My friend who is already going to the college that I'm attenting soon this fall said that buying a 17incher is too big and such a waste since bringing it to class would be such a hassle. He said the laptops would be a little too big for thier desks and etc. And that I'll be the only one.

Anyone disagree with this?

Reason is that there are barely any 15inchers that support 1920 by 1200 resolution
Old 08-28-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Re: 17 incher laptops a little too big for college classes?

No one brings their laptop to class unless they just want to waste time in a big lecture. Don't worry about it.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 PM

They are too big for desks and, more annoyingly, airplanes. I have a 17" screen and if I were able to choose again, I would definitely go with 15" or smaller.

You will probably be able to buy a second monitor with the money you save from downsizing, so resolution shouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:41 PM

I bought a inspiron 9300 at the beginning of last school year for the 1920 by 1200 resolution and brought it to school a few times. Not for taking notes in class but for playing poker between classes. Anyway, it was a bitch bringing it in my backpack and hauling it around campus.
When you're just using a 17" at home, it doesn't seem big, but when you lug it around campus and see all the kids with their compact little 15" laptops, you realize what a beast a 17" really is.

If you really need a laptop for school related things, then you have a tough choice to make. If you don't need it for school related things, just use pencil and paper to take notes. If you're not at a technical school or class where a laptop is required, you're probably going to look like a tool anyway when you bust out your laptop in class.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 AM

I made the same mistake, buying a 17" is definitely not worth it, especially now that party can resize tables.

-DrG
Old 08-29-2006, 10:49 AM

The only people I have ever seen bring their labtop to class are either super-anal note-takes, or just people who wanna play games during class (online poker?).

But, if you get a smaller screen labtop, you can always get a larger screen seperate monitor later.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:53 PM

now that tables are resizeable, 17 inches is not worth it if you're concerned about cost. i also have an inspiron 9300.

laptops for notes in class are amazing if you are good at typing. at least i think so, because i hate writing with pen and paper in my class.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only people I have ever seen bring their labtop to class are either super-anal note-takes

[/ QUOTE ]

not so much about being anal, maybe in your perceived mind, but I type like 100 times faster than I write so if i want to take good notes why bring pen/paper? plus writing gives hand cramps which are a huge bitch.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only people I have ever seen bring their labtop to class are either super-anal note-takes, or just people who wanna play games during class (online poker?).

But, if you get a smaller screen labtop, you can always get a larger screen seperate monitor later.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting to me. Law school, 95% of people will have laptops. I don't see anythign inherently different between law school and undergrad liberal arts classes, except maybe the prep materials.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:02 PM

Since you're most certainly going to just be playing poker don't even bother going to class.