Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 11:02 AM

Default The Birds and the Bees

This conversation started at work. One of my coworkers asked all of us nurses have your kids asked you about sex yet?
Her young daughter had been given a few facts from another child and she had to confront it and was caught a little off guard.
Needless to say, it started a very funny dialogue at work but also terrified me as I know the question will come up soon enough from one or both of my daughters.

So I am asking for those of you who have or will someday have to explain the birds and the bees to your kids, what will you say?
or here is a twist as suggested by my good friend Katyseagull, how did you learn about the birds and the bees?

I got the green light from diebitter to post this, but was asked, as expected in tl:dr, to please keep it clean.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: The Birds and the Bees

Premptive strike is the way to go. Tell them all about the brids and the bees before they have to ask. Just be factual and explain in detail what happens. They are going to find out evetually anyway and it's better that they here it form you and can ask you quetions then to just hear weird rumors from kids at school.

Treat it like a natural proccess like personal hygenie. Give some direction about responsibility, etc. Just start a conversation with them like: "Do you know how baies are made." and then go from there.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:07 PM

Do/will your kids have sex ed classes in school? I never really talked w/ my parents much about sex because the bulk of my questions were answered in 5th and 7th grade health classes. Beyond them, I didn't really have enough to talk to my parents about that was worth getting over the awkwardness of asking your parents about sex.

***Mildly NSFTLDR Content

Man, I'm still scarred after spending one day in 7th grade health just looking at a slide show of people with STDs. No person should ever have to see a 5 foot projection of a penis covered in warts. THAT subject was NEVER coming up with my parents.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:16 PM

Never talked to my parents about this; I'll never talk to my kids about this.

The internet makes answering questions easy.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:26 PM

I am ashamed to say I do not know when sex ed will be taught. My kids are going into 2nd and 4th grades.

My oldest, she is 9, is already in the early throws of puberty-(God help Utah)...she looks like she is 13, sometimes has the attitude and intelligence of a 13+ year old, but emotionally she is 9.
We have covered the hygiene and body changes,and she in not uncomfortable talking to me but sex has not entered the picture.
Can you give too much information too early?

btw Mr Wookie-I think the STD pics have about the same effect as the traffic fatality pics you see in drivers ed...either you remember them vivdly or you don't at all.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:38 PM

My children are fairly young (6,4,2, and 3 months) so the question hasnt come up too much. But the oldest has asked a few "tricky" questions. We tell her the exact truth and dont try to put her off. It really is the best way to go.

FWIW, I grew up on a farm and its pretty darn hard not to figure out he birds and bees pretty early on in life. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2006, 12:49 PM

I have had a few "tricky" and have told them just enough to answer their question...this was when they were a bit younger. If they ask I will certainly tell them whatever they want to know.

My friend at work had brought along a children's book complete with illustrations, which is where the conversation got pretty funny at work.(mind you, we are Labor and Delivery nurses and are overwhelmed. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

I have delivered 14 and 15 year olds and its pretty scary.

vulturesrow, did some of those "tricky" questions arise during the pregnancy of your 3 month old?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

vulturesrow, did some of those "tricky" questions arise during the pregnancy of your 3 month old?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are spot on there. We havent gotten into the whole intercourse question yet but a lot of questions of where exactly the baby comes out, where it actually is, etc. But Im sure that the how the baby got there question probably isnt far behind.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:59 PM

Sex Ed is normally (or at least in the past) covered in 6th or 7th grade. I had 2 older brothers, so by the time sex ed class came around, I was already well versed in the subject.

I dread the day I have to explain it to my child. Though I figure if you tell your first child, they will pass the knowledge off to younger siblings, and probably add all the updated lingo, which is nice.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are spot on there. We havent gotten into the whole intercourse question yet but a lot of questions of where exactly the baby comes out, where it actually is, etc. But Im sure that the how the baby got there question probably isnt far behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is when I got some of the initial "tricky" questions when my sister in law was pregnant.
I also had to take an online class for work and my kids watched a very detailed delivery, but still have yet to ask "How?"