Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 03:38 AM

Default 2002 WSOP Broadcast--An older perspective

The wife of a player at the final table (Russel Rosenblum, I believe) was interviewed during the broadcast and was stating how amazed she was because she never knew her husband could play so well. She emphasized at the end of her interview that her husband had been playing for only 6 years!

This strikes me as quite an interesting contrast to the Ricky Zilems of the world who boast that they're "advanced players" who have been playing for 9 months and can step up and tangle with the big boys. This definitely looks like a change in perspective as a result of the Moneymaker boom.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:40 PM

Default Re: 2002 WSOP Broadcast--An older perspective

IMO, with the internet and books available a person has the ablility to acquire the knowledge and experience in 1 year that used to take 10.

Six years ago I lived in Reno and the tournament trail would come through twice a year. So at most I was playing in 10 tournaments a year. Now you can gain that much experience in a week.

As to knowledge, I think the only book out was one from Tom McEvoy and a few articles on recgambler. Maybe there was more, but that was all I was aware of at the time.

I'm not saying that the modern players are better - but they certainly have the knowledge and experiece, after a year of serious study & play, that only a small number of people had 5 years ago.

I sure wish I had HOH Vol I & II back then.