Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 05:10 PM

Default 2/4 99 in BB

Just sat down; no meaningful reads.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Is it generally true that you shouldn't fold to flop checkraises when you've had the lead the whole hand? Is there any reason to continue with this hand after the turn bet? All comments appreciated.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: 2/4 99 in BB

I fold to the flop checkraise 100% of the time against unknowns. If I didn't I would obviously call down on that turn card. No reason to peel and fold unimproved in a small pot with a two-outer.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:38 PM

Folding immediately to the flop checkraise would be okay in this case, I think, but I don't mind the peel too much, with your weak backdoors and potential set outs. (Your backdoors are especially weak, though, and it's also a little bit problematic that a 9 would complete the OESD that there's some small chance Villain is checkraising with.)

You do look less like someone who can be pushed around when you don't fold immediately, which is why a peel is okay in situations where the decision is sort of close.

Villain is going to bet again on the turn almost always, though (this would be less true if he raised the flop in position), so you're rarely getting through the turn for free.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:35 PM

I'm almost always folding this on the flop.

3rd pair, checkraise, still very vulnerable to overcards, small pot...pretty routine
Old 08-27-2006, 11:03 PM

I agree w/ bob and wild, fold immediately

[ QUOTE ]

You do look less like someone who can be pushed around when you don't fold immediately, which is why a peel is okay in situations where the decision is sort of close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the metagame EV you get from peeling this flop, if any, outweighs the real -EV you get from calling the flop raise, which is substantial
Old 08-27-2006, 11:16 PM

What everyone said. Calling the flop raise with the intention of folding almost every turn card is silly.

Caddy