Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 12:31 AM

Default Canterbuy info?

I generally play poker at Canterbury Park in Minnesota, and I was wondering if anyone here had any insight as to what the games were like / which limits were the most profitable to play at or any other inside info that might be useful.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Canterbuy info?

WTF? You play there but want to know what the games are like????

EDIT: FWIW, if you're sitting at a game and are slightly smarter than a 2-year-old retarded monkey, you should do fine. In speaking with Milo last time I was out, it would appear the 8/16 is the place to be these days.

Still...WTF?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:39 AM

To the OP, play the highest game available. Thats where you can earn the most money. And people respect your raises more.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:42 AM

I just wanted to know what other people thought about the games, such as which ones generally play tighter or looser. I play mainly 4/8 or 6/12 and I don't really know how the higher limits play. I also am new to the forums and was wondering if there were any other Canterbury players here who had any other insight into the games.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:38 AM

1) "Canterbury Park - the only place the tourists are better than the locals". I don't remember who told me that line, but for the most part, its right. I wasn't kidding about the retarded 2-year-old chimp.

2) Tightest game at the Barn: 2/4 stud. Scratch that, probably any stud game, but if they've got one going much over 2/4, its going to be full of nits anyway.

3) Loosest: From what I've seen, that 8/16 can be a goldmine. Variance can be a bitch though, so YMMV.

I love playing at the Barn. You must be relatively new to poker in general (at least live) if you have to ask about the quality of games. 18-20 YO perhaps? (I'm 22, not like I'm a worldly guy, but that place is cake).
Old 08-27-2006, 10:09 AM

the 30/60 game at canturbury is one of the best games. get to that limit asap, its free money
Old 08-27-2006, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) "Canterbury Park - the only place the tourists are better than the locals".

[/ QUOTE ]

Foxwoods might also qualify, depending on how you define tourist vs. local. Most of California would certainly qualify, I'd think.

To the original poster: Welcome to the forum! I didn't think your OP merited quite so much flak, although the question was phrased a little odd.

Not terribly informative: http://poker.wikia.com/wiki/Canterbury_Park . I will add this thread, though.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:14 AM

any game at canterbury (regardless of limit) is easier to beat than any game online.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:53 PM

I just moved from Minneapolis not long ago and I miss Canterbury -

Play 6/12 and 8/16 and build bankroll - as soon as its sufficient move up to 15/30 - it really just gets better as you move up...

6/12 was pretty loose and passive so variance wasnt too bad for a limit game, 8/16 gets a little crazier to variance (for me at least) was more

15/30 is great, and another variance roller coaster, especially on Friday nights but you should be able to get the best of it over time (assuming you are smarter than a 2 year old chip regardless if its retarded or not)

Eat the food while your there, its +EV
Old 08-27-2006, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't Eat the food while your there

[/ QUOTE ]