Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 09:47 PM

Default I might have messed this one up...

No Reads on Villain

My image is tight, I haven't got out of line at all so far at this table.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($400)
UTG ($1065.20)
Button ($595.20)
Hero ($438.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $15</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $43</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $30.

Flop: ($94) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $55</font>, UTG calls $55.

Turn: ($204) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $150</font>, Hero calls $338.50 (All-In), UTG calls $188.50.

River: ($881) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $881
Old 08-26-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: I might have messed this one up...

why the check/call on the turn? if you're going to call anyway you should be semi-bluffing to try and get him to laydown KJ AJ and such... you've been the aggressor on every round so far, definitely keep pushing with a hand with such potentional, like you said your image is tight, let him make a tough call and take the chance of running into an overpair or a set of Js or 10s... i agree with you 100% the check/call on the turn was maybe your worst move possible
Old 08-26-2006, 09:58 PM

He didn't check/call on the turn, he check raised as a semi-bluff. The problem is that it's not going to get anyone to lay down anything considering it's a min-raise. The size of the bet and the pot make this a bad check-raise semi-bluff. A flat out push on the turn would have been better, or a check and make a decision based on bet amount (betting $150 makes this a fold ... less and you might be able to call or do the semi-bluff). As it is, I think this is spew.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:59 PM

I didn't check-call turn, i check-raised, not saying that its any better, but though it should be clarified.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:05 PM

my bad, he did check-raise on the turn, saw it wrong... yeah i agree this isn't the type of hand to check raise, the pot is too big for the villian to be making any decent bet, and then not be forced into calling the raise, unless he's on a pure bluff (very unlikely) learn a lesson here, part of playing the player is always knowing how much your opponent has in front of them... just wondering, why did you check in the first place? i really don't like the check, in my oppion checks like that have no place in short handed poker... need to be more aggressive with big draws, i don't think i'd want a free card even if i knew for sure that i was getting it... why the check???
Old 08-26-2006, 10:22 PM

sharp nobody folds anything on this board, at these stakes, to your bet ever... unless they have a worse hand than your ace high. If this was vs a thinking player I think I might like it better but to me it doesnt seem like people pay much attention to other's image.... or what they could be holding... just the strength of their own hand on the present board.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:29 PM

alright, just got out of the shower, and came up with a much clearer reason i didn't like the check in any situation... basically even if you had had a deep stack, and you had been able to make a decent (3x or 4x) check-raise on the turn the only thing a check-raise like that REALLY accomplishes is putting the idea in your villian's head that maybe a call would be alright; sure it gets more money in the pot for you if you end up taking it down (and admittedly I really think you do in most situations) however mostly i think it walks your opponent one step closer to a call that you do not want... in this case it made it unacceptable for him to fold, and really no matter how well stacked you and your opponent are you want them to fold ANYTHING that they might even think of calling with on the turn... take your 50BB pot in this case and move on... and continue to seize opportunities like this to make semi-bluffs, esspecially in short handed poker
Old 08-26-2006, 10:55 PM

You have no fold equity on the turn check/raise.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Might be a decent line to take with AA/KK or whatever. I'd rather just 2nd barrel.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Might be a decent line to take with AA/KK or whatever. I'd rather just 2nd barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]