Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 08:24 PM

Default Moral Hazard and \"Plan B\"

Economists are intimately familiar with the term. From Wikipedia:

[ QUOTE ]
In insurance theory, moral hazard is the name given to the increased risk of problematical (immoral) behavior, and thus a negative outcome ("hazard"), because the person who caused the problem doesn't suffer the full (or any) consequences, or may actually benefit. Such a concern typically arises in the context of a contract (for example, an insurance policy).

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_hazard

An example: Suppose I'm walking past David Sklansky's winter residence after a particularly heavy blizzard has iced over his sidewalk. Further suppose that I'm aware that David is extremely risk averse and is willing to accept the -EV of extra liability insurance to reduce the volatility that a lawsuit may bring should someone slip on his sidewalk. With these conditions, I have extremely little incentive to watch my step as I walk past his house. Slipping in this instance is at least as good of an outcome for me due to heavy insurance compensation as not slipping.

This idea translates very well to the FDA's recent approval of the non prescription "Plan B" morning after pill. I hypothesize that, due to the introduction of non-prescription "Plan B," Americans have less incentive to practice responsible sexual behavior (which I define ideally as abstinence before marriage, and more practically as protected sex within a monogamous relationship). Because "Plan B" offers an escape hatch for those who have unprotected sex, moral hazard will take effect, and irresponsible sexual behavior (at least how I've defined it in this post) will increase.

Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Moral Hazard and \"Plan B\"

[ QUOTE ]
and irresponsible sexual behavior (at least how I've defined it in this post) will increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

you define this as..

[ QUOTE ]
(which I define ideally as abstinence before marriage, and more practically as protected sex within a monogamous relationship).

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you even make any mention of "abstinence before marriage" and "within a monogamous relationship"...

simply defining it as "protected sex" does not take away from your agrument IMO...

I don't care one bit whether this principal leads to an increase in sex before marriage or the disintigration of monogomous relationships (well...that's debatable) in general...but an apparent pathway for an increase in unprotected sex should be a concern of all persons..

good post in general though..I found it interesting
Old 08-25-2006, 08:58 PM

I doubt this (plan B) changes much.
The reason people use a condom, at least me isnt because iam scared she wil have a bun in the oven its because i dont want to get any STDs.
I predict a marginal increase (2%) in unprotected sex.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hypothesize that, due to the introduction of non-prescription "Plan B," Americans have less incentive to practice responsible sexual behavior (which I define ideally as abstinence before marriage, and more practically as protected sex within a monogamous relationship).

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, let's hope so!

I mean, I know it would piss you fundies off if people actually had sane healthy sexual practices, but as far as I'm concerned that's all the more benefit.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 PM

I'd say you were right except that contracting STDs is as big of a worry for some as an unwanted pregnancy.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hypothesize that, due to the introduction of non-prescription "Plan B," Americans have less incentive to practice responsible sexual behavior (which I define ideally as abstinence before marriage, and more practically as protected sex within a monogamous relationship).

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, let's hope so!

I mean, I know it would piss you fundies off if people actually had sane healthy sexual practices, but as far as I'm concerned that's all the more benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah his morals are appalling but the argument is probably right.

chez
Old 08-25-2006, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say you were right except that contracting STDs is as big of a worry for some as an unwanted pregnancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in fact remiss for not mentioning STD contractions rising from Plan B, as those individuals whose primary motivation for practicing safe sex is preventing unwanted pregnancy lose the ancillary benefit of STD prevention when they begin using Plan B with any kind of regularity.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:35 PM

It's not up to you to decide what responsible sexual behavior is.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not up to you to decide what responsible sexual behavior is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I defined it for the purpose of serving as an assumption for this post; the post's thesis is not what constitutes responsible/irresponsible sexual behavior, but rather what I define as irresponsible sexual behavior for the purpose of this post will rise due to moral hazard ensuing w/regular use of Plan B.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:26 AM

Hiya bigdaddydvo [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think that you are hijacking the meaning of moral here. I see nothing immoral about enjoying sex unplanned if there is a way to prevent an undesirable outcome (in this case pregnancy), even after the fact. Of course, it is you faith that conditions this view and I have no thought of forcing you to use the B plan. Neither do I want you to dictate my behaviour in ways that are based on yours, to me, very naive and unwarranted, beliefs.