Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Home Games Videotaped Professionally

I am in the process of starting a private business that would involve going out and professionally recording people's home games. This would be professionally done, even with the ability to see hole cards, just like on televised poker. We would have some lesser known pros doing commentary, and we also have some bigger names available to do commentary if the customers were willing to pay for it. Just trying to get a feel from various poker forums what the expressed interest is. This is an invaluable tool for improving your game, as I know from experience. Anyone interested? The first poker games we do will probably be the least expensive, as we will be learning as we go. Thanks everybody.
email: zelwood@hotmail.com
Old 08-25-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Home Games Videotaped Professionally

It seems like your service would cost way too much for the vast majority of home games. It might work for events, though. If a group has a big once-a-year tournament, it might be cool to have a DVD to give to everyone. If you can make a good production at a reasonable price, this idea might actually work.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Yes, it would be kind of expensive. But I think once you spread it throughout the group that plays the home game, it wouldn't be that bad. Also, the benefits of being able to examine your own game, and the regular people you play with, are enormous. Thanks for your response.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the benefits of being able to examine your own game, and the regular people you play with, are enormous.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think it is. To do this, you'd have to have a regular group of players who trust each other, and especially the host, a lot. New players would have to be willing to trust the host as well, a LOT.
(I can just imagine MY reaction coming into a new game, when I find out that there are videotapes and hole cams)

If you have the group of well-known players that could make this trustworthy... you should know enough about their play to make this benefit of questionable value (on a cost-benefit analysis part).

Good luck, but I don't see that flying too well.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:50 PM

Do you really think this is an original idea? If this were profitable it would be done already probably before you even knew what texas holdem was. After attending Business school I can suggest that you not waste the start up capital. I do not think that there are that many people out there willing to pay that much to feed their own egos. You have to think about that on a Revenue v expense basis. Everytime you do this you have to cover travel expenses, film expenses, labor whatever that may be, and still be able to charge the house a premium to give yourself a decent margin. Its a peasent idea, go start something like the WPT if your trying to make a buck.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:53 PM

Oh and a side note, Have you ever watched celebrity poker showdown on bravo. ITS THE WORST SHOW, celebrities playing poker isnt even good, the only thing worth watching is teh pros you know. So no executive would ever even sign to take on a show about home poker, it would be BOOOOORING. I dont mean to be harsh, but i hope I have helped talk you out of this. Especially if you do have the money to start this company it could be invested mo betta. Pro cameras cost thousands, tables with pocket cams cost 6K+, I would reroute.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:33 PM

No thank you, officer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2006, 06:49 PM

Wouldn't help in my home game -- I don't think that most of the guys even know how they themselves play!! LOL

The other thing that you need to consider is that there are patents on the different types of hole cams -- not sure of any legal issues there.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think this is an original idea? If this were profitable it would be done already probably before you even knew what texas holdem was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam, having been to business school, I think you'd realize that just because someone else has thought of something first doesn't mean you can't also start a business doing the same thing and it be profitable. Just pointing that out.

I also think you might have misunderstood the idea behind his business. He would be selling the videos to his customers....not to a network for public broadcast. No biggie just pointing that stuff out.

Zel, I think the idea is great. The problem is going to come down to the cost. Sure some rich city boys might have the money to throw at something like this but I just can't imagine that many people could afford it. I think you would have to be willing to travel nationwide to different games and that would just make the costs go up even more.

Not saying it isn't possible. I think it's a cool idea and probably something you should keep researching to see what kind of interest you get by the people who can afford it. It doesn't matter if 90% of the people think it's a stupid idea. If 10% are willing to pay for the service, it could be profitable.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:01 PM

I think Sam was just having the same idea and doesn't want this guy taking his business.. standard