Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 03:01 PM

Default PreFlop Raising Size

Out of all your PF raises, how often does it get folded around so you don't see a flop?

I didnt think the amount this happened to me was too often, but looked back and realised it was about 12% of the time. Is this missed opportunity just a side effect that has to be allowed for? And also, is it worth lowering your PFR size if half the table has folded, and you have AA,KK?

any thoughts appreciated.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Re: PreFlop Raising Size

I look at it this way. I would rather win the blinds and come out ahead with a small pot rather then limp and have 4-5 hand drawing aginst my AA,KK. If someone hit the straight with is 56s then you would be asking the exact opposite question.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:23 PM

montauk,
with a powerhouse hand in NL, you have two options. you can make a strong, hand-defining raise, usually 4x the BB +1 BB for every limpter If everyone folds, so be it. You can also make a smallish raise, 3x the BB or so. Obviously, with more limpers you have to now player the hand more cautiously. In this scenario, you should make a full-sized pot bet on the flop no matter what comes. If called, you are really going to have to play some poker.

The main point of raising preflop with a monster hand is to build a pot early. The way you get the pot big preflop is determined by the table/your image/opponents.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:33 PM

Maybe your table selection has been towards tighter tables. Usually with a PFR of 4BB I get at least one call, especially in late position.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:07 PM

The previous players both make good points; If you are in 4th position - +3 ahead of UTG, at a full ten player NL table, and the first 3 have folded, the style of the table should probably be your #1 factor in deciding what to raise. If it has been really tight, you may want to raise about 2.0-2.5x the BB to induce atleast 1 (maybe 2) caller but at a loose table, atleast 3.5-5x the BB so punish the idiots who'll call with T8 suited.