Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 10:27 PM

Default AL MVP Jeter

Jeter seems to be a lock.

The other next closest 4 candidates for MVP are all either named Thome or aren't on a current playoff team. There's still a lot of baseball left but I'd take this at 1-1 or better as a big big play and even at upto -175 or so as EV.

Bosox aren't going to the playoffs which kills Manny and Papi.

I don't see any pitchers taking it down.

Jeter is a HOF bound player on a playoff team having an exceptional year. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Re: AL MVP Jeter

I know it hurts Big Papi that he isn't making the playoffs...but I have a hard time believing anyone will get more votes than him. His year has been ridiculous. Much like A-Rod winning it even when his team was horrific. Big Papi has been that much better than everyone else.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:13 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
Big Papi has been that much better than everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you poll the intelligent analysts, ortiz would not be on the top 3 of anyone's ballot. he might crack the top 5 of some.

AL batters by VORP

this doesn't consider defensive value. if you add that in, ortiz falls to eighth.

i'm not saying he won't win, because voters like to cream in their pants over clutch hitting and home runs. but he is nowhere near the best player in the league. he's not the best DH, not the best red sox, not even more valuable than johan santana.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:47 AM

Jeter will not be MPV and im a yankees fan. look at the past winners (last 20 yrs or so) the only one that resembles jeter to me is ichirio.
unless jeter gets to ~30 hr he is no a lock.
Many people have felt that Big Papi has deserved to win before and i feel this year he will.

oh yeah in baseball MVP has gone to people on much worse teams then the Boston currently is.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:21 AM

I can't see anyone other than Pineiro winning this year.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you poll the intelligent analysts, ortiz would not be on the top 3 of anyone's ballot. he might crack the top 5 of some.

AL batters by VORP

this doesn't consider defensive value. if you add that in, ortiz falls to eighth.

i'm not saying he won't win, because voters like to cream in their pants over clutch hitting and home runs. but he is nowhere near the best player in the league. he's not the best DH, not the best red sox, not even more valuable than johan santana.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many intelligient analysts are there?

Side note:
Couple years back Tejada and Arod?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AL batters by VORP

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeter certainly deserves it this year. Given all the injury issues the Yankees have dealt with, Jeter has been a virtual Godsend at the top of the order. He also plays "defense" which is a word Ortiz probably doesn't know in English or Spanish. Manny, for that matter, plays defense but spends more time in left field picking dandelions than he does following the game.

I do fear the Ortiz will get it because 1) he has the reputation of being clutch and 2) he came really close last year. One interesting stat I saw in the NYT before the 5 game series at Fenway: Ortiz is .300 with runners in scoring position this year, and Jeter is .377.

Ortiz's talents aside, Jeter is the one I want at bat with the season on the line.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:34 PM

How clutch can Ortiz be?

5 game sweep at home? IIRC Jeter drove in a tying run in one of those games.

I persoanlly think if Red Sox fall out of the playoffs it's a huge blow to any candidate but coupled with not playing the field compared to a gold glove caliber candidate is just ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:49 PM

Jeter isn't gold glove caliber at all.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeter isn't gold glove caliber at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. He's probably the worst fielding multi-golden glove winner ever.