Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Anyone know # of players in Platinim VIPs freeroll?

So I was trying to come up with an excuse for my wife to watch the kids so I could go on a couple of mega-marathon HORSE benders. All I can come up with is that I would make Platinum VIP this month if I did it, which would be worth an EV of $7,500/week divided by the # of players.

So anyone know offhand how many people play in the Platinum weekly freeroll (or for that matter, the SuperNova)? I know I can wait until Saturday to find out but I gotta get crackin' to make Platinum by then.

A quick search helped me dig up a post estimating 2,500 players in the Pokersars monthly $100,000 freeroll, but I couldn't find any info on # in Platinums/Supernova freerolls.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Anyone know # of players in Platinim VIPs freeroll?

You can see it from the lobby, just make sure the "show upcoming/registering tourneys only" thing is unchecked.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:24 PM

actually, it's not showing for the last freerolls anymore.

I want to estimate 400 or so for the platinum perhaps?? not sure.

Last supernova $18k had almost 200 players I think.
It grows by $2k each month which seems to keep it at around $100 per player.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:31 PM

Hmmm... that's looking like only $19 in EV per week x 5 weeks for jumping up to Platinum freerolls now. Not sure my all-night bender can be justified unless I can convince the wife all the other Platinums are terrible and I'd be a huge favorite over the field. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info, Bobo.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:33 PM

I had some other thoughts on the Stars FPP program that really don't have as much to do with the 'Stars marketing an attack against Party' thread anymore.

I was going to start a new thread.
But it seems this is just as good a place as any to share my thoughts as I really don't want to start yet another thread on such a narrow topic as Stars FPP's.

This was in response to O-Doyle's idea that Stars should give their players better FPP value for the land-based tourneys and should expand that program to include WSOP-circuit events.

---------------------------------------

I agree on expanding their land-based stuff.
Although there are fewer WSOP-circuit events being aired on ESPN and Stars seems reluctant to send people to non-televised events.

I was a little disappointed at the FPP price for some of the WSOP tournaments.

I would have thought for a $10k main-event package they would have cut their high-volume players a bit of a deal. Especially since you can only have one (so you can't just stock-up on them over and over and sell them on ebay or something).

700k points seems a little bit high to me. I was hoping for 600k or maybe even 550k.
They sacrifice a little bit of their FPP value but they are still profiting on the players even if it's at 30% RB equivilent or higher.

and they are encouraging them to spend their points in main-event seats instead of other items which gives them a shot to be even higher than 20% of the main-event field.

As it is, there is less encouragement to spend one's points on one big main-event package since the value is pretty much the same as all the other events.

Same goes for the EPT events which I think should be priced a little bit lower. They want players there wearing their stuff, don't they?

Also, the WCOOP and weekly and monthly guaranteed tickets aren't an awesome value either because you can buy into these events via discounted T$ or W$.

It would be cheaper to get into these events by buying an amazon-card, selling it on ebay, and then using the money to purchase W$ (which you can get at about 90% or so).

The Stars-tournament FPP buy-in's should have a slightly better incentive.
Even upping it from 1.6 cents to 2 cents per FPP would be significantly encouraging to me.

Finally, the Saturday freerolls are kind of a pain even though I usually suck it up and play them.

They aren't attractive time-wise to a significant percentage of their players (Europeans especially) and a couple of them are close to pretty pointless. Note the number of players in the silver and gold freerolls who go all-in as quickly as they can. This isn't JUST tourney-donkeys. This is a bunch of people who could give a crap about whether they make the cash for $2.74 or not.

I'm 'fortunate' that they are on Saturdays. Because if they were on Sundays I would almost never get to play them and I also wouldn't feel like I'm missing much.

If they just gave out the value of the tourney each week in the form of an SNG/MTT coupon (not able to be sold as T$) I would be much happier.
Let the players get into an MTT at their convenience and also let them COMBINE their tickets for one big shot if they prefer.

Getting tied to a silver-star tourney where I might win $15 for 30th place out of 1000 (or something pointless like that) is not a good use of my time.

The flat pay-out structure is designed to reward more players of course. But it just ends up being kind of annoying.
Yet you feel obligated to play it (at least I do...I multi-table elsewhere while grinding-out the freerolls).

Suggestion: Give me a $3 tourney-ticket each week I'm silver-star. $10 each week I'm gold-star, etc.
If I want to play a bunch of $3 tourneys with my tickets then I will.
OR, I will save them up and spend them all at once on a $215 tournament or something.
Don't let the players sell these tickets.

I can almost guarantee that many supernova's would prefer this. If I were supernova I know that I would.
Lots of supernova's in different parts of the world setting their alarm clocks so that they can get up in time to register for the damn weekly supernova freeroll and then half-heartedly clicking their way through to try to make it into the money (or just logging-off, getting blinded away, and hoping they still make it...which they have a decent chance of doing).

The tourney-ticket idea isn't perfect because lots of cash-game players don't like tourneys period.

But I think it's better than the Saturday freerolls that take up a lot of time for not enough value....and are not at a convenient time for all players.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:04 PM

Jesus Bob! Cliff notes plz?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:09 PM

Hey Bob,

Yea, I would really like to see Stars offer many, many more land based tourney options through their FPP store and discount them a little bit more too in exchange for wearing PokerStars gear. As I mentioned in the other thread if they gave low limit players the opportunity to play in the smaller WSOP/WSOP circuit events, ($300 to $ 500 events) I believe it would pay dividends for them. Players should be able to buy into any WSOP/WSOP circuit event including all of the preliminary ones.

As far as the Saturday tournies, I like them, but I agree I miss out on some of the value of these because I cannot always play in them.

This past week I was doing well in both the Gold and SuperNova, but had a committment and had to leave. Ended up finishing 12th and 14th just being blinded away. I lost out on a real opportunity to final table both.

I would like to see them cut back on these just a little and offer SuperNova players a 3-4 day vacation at preferably a carribean destination with the ability to play
in a live free roll for sizeable prize pool against one another. ($100,000 or more) I think this would a great loyalty builder for them and would also give some players another incentive to reach SuperNova. They could run one at the end of six months for evey player that has attained SuperNova and then another one for all players who achieved SuperNova status at year end.