Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Movin\' on up...(hopefully)

I play microlimits (.05/.10 and .10/.20). I feel I am doing okay, not fantastic, but decent at these limits...slow but sure gaining...two steps forward...one step back kinda thing. I would like to move up to perhaps .50/1.00 or more to take advantage of bonuses and/or rakeback.

My question is: How much more difficult are these limits? Any recommendations on sites to play at for bonus and rakeback?

Thanks much!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Movin\' on up...(hopefully)

I don't think the games are that different.

As for bonus and cakeshack check out Wookie's Bankroll Thread
Old 08-23-2006, 06:08 PM

$5 and $10 buy ins compared to $100 buyin not that diff? I think they are, and would reccomend moving up limits one at a time.

sorry i just realized i was in the limit forum, thought i was in Small stakes nl
Old 08-23-2006, 06:12 PM

Tables are tighter at .50/1.00. Generally 3-4 see the flop. More TAGs.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:12 PM

I started out playing 1/2 but I think moving up limits is tough no matter where you start. You have to put in a lot o hands to build up your bankroll. I learned this moving from 1/2 to 5/10 limit and recently from playing NL and trying to play in bigger games. If you move up and run bad it really sucks. So overall stay patient, try to build your bankroll (I personally don't think it's bad idea to build your bankroll from outside poker at these limits if you think you're ready. I would much rather deposit $500 and have the roll for 1/2 then have to grind up from lower limts).
Old 08-23-2006, 06:45 PM

When you are just starting out you ABSOLUTELY MUST take advantage of rakeback and bonuses. It insulates your br while you are learning. For this, I direct you to:

Bonus Whores

-RW
Old 08-23-2006, 07:55 PM

I didn't notice much difference in the weak players skills but each level you run into more and more competent players, so table selection and position becomes much more critical.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 PM

As a work in progress I can give you my limited growth from .10/.20 thru .25/.50 and now working at .50/1.00. My too tight and weak style was fine at .10/.20 EXCEPT there are frequently some pretty good players who are also "working up" but over about 3000 hands at that level I was +4BB per hundred. At .25/.50 I actually did a little better at just under 6BB per hundred. I am a work in progress at .50/1.00. NOt enough hands for my stats to be meaningful but so far am over 5BB per hundred. I am not seeing a lot of difference EXCEPT I have run into some tough 1.00 tables in the daytime on Party. I am currently tryingto avoid that on a table by table basis but haven't had too much trouble on Stars. The bonuses are fine but I just signed up $40 on the site that gives me trouble so have to try to find tables I can handle.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:02 PM

I find .5/1 to be an interesting level. Some tables will be so tight you will wonder how people ever play $1/2. Other tables you'll closely be watching and suddenly realize "These people are ALL IDIOTS!"

Or you could move up like me and then have much of your discipline/knowledge go out the window and blow your bankroll and be pretty much wondering why you are losing and spend a while before you realize what you've forgotten."

Has anyone else moved up and forgotten much of what they've learned? I'm guessing no. :-(

I'm looking forward to playing again after discovering what I have forgotten (I am in school so play time is lessened). And I mention the bloody slump too much. I should fall on my sword and never mention it again.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 AM

I also find the .5/1 games very wierd. Its a strange mix of the freakishly bad play at lower levels and the tight play you see at the higher levels that plays like neither and makes it very herd to either draw or protect.

After making 8BB/100 (over 30k hands) at .15/.30, then around 6BB/100 (25k hands) at .25/.50, I moved up the .5/1. The first thing that happened was a 100BB losing streak, and after 10k hands I'm hovering around 0BB/100. I've decided to skip the level and, since my bankroll can well aford it, make a go at the 1/2 tables which are much tighter but much more predictable.