Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 03:51 PM

Default To Fold or Call on the Turn with top pair: 2 scenarios

Here's a common situation: top pair, and a bet on the turn into you after you've bet the flop. More and more I've found folding to be the right move unless you have redraws, or the play just seems bizarre. I played about 8 hours yesterday at Canterbury, and there were 2 situations that came up. I'd like feedback as to what you think the best move might have been.

Situation 1: KQ on a flop of 9TK. I raised pre-flop; five callers. Bet the flop; two callers. A deuce on the turn. I bet, and it's raised. No flush is on the board. I call down, and my opponent flopped the straight. I thought this was OK, as I had a jack to give me the straight.

Situation 2: AT. Call to see the flop (middle position). The flop comes AK2. Checked to me, I bet and get three callers. The turn brings a deuce. I bet, and a player after me raises. Here I'm again stumped. Yes, this is 2/4 and a player could have a deuce; perphaps bottom pair with a flush draw? (Turn does not complete any flush chance). So, I again check call down, and he has K4 suited, and I win with aces-up. Good play? I think it was again OK, as the deuce seemed bizarre to raise on.

I guess where I look to fold on the turn with top pair is when I don't have re-draws, my kicker is crappy, or it's raised after I bet and a possible flush or straight is out there. My thought is I've raised pre-flop and bet on the flop and now the turn, and this person is saying they can beat me. Conversly, I may consider a fold when it's bet into me too and the possible flush or straight is out there and I don't have a redraw, for the same reasons: I've been leading away thus far, and now this person suddenly bets into me. Perhaps this is too tight? But with so many LLHE players loving to play anything because "it was suited!" I think this is a sound play. Agreements/disagreements? Am I too tight?

Regards,
Low Limit Paul from Mpls.