Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Found a Trojan horse and AVG can\'t get rid of it???

I was wading through posts on the internet forum and decided my computer needed to be more secure so I downloaded zonealarm and AVG free. Fast forward an hour or two and AVG has found a trojan horse by the name of "serial_ Ron Jeremy.zip:\YSB_toolbar.exe" and AVG calls it a "Trojan Horse Downloader.1stBar.9.AU". Its status is "Infected, Embedded Object"

What does this do and how do I get rid of it. I have experienced no problems with my computer lately and no money seems to be missing. I would like to keep my money though. Please help me.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Found a Trojan horse and AVG can\'t get rid of it???

2 options. Load a restore point from a few days ago and see if that can stop the trojan from loading. Thats no guarantee.

The other option go to mcafee.com and download the free trial of their virus scan.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:52 PM

Have you tried to remove it with AVG? AVG is an awesome anti-virus program. Usually AVG gives you the option to Heal the infection or sometimes Quarantine it. I've had a couple viruses that AVG could not heal or quarantine on customers computers. In every instance a Google search revealed that no antivirus program was able to. You are usually left with two options at that point.....attempt to walk thru a maze of steps, programs, scans, fixes and such that some stranger on a website suggest or you reformat your hard drive and reinstall everything. I always choose the latter.

I found this thread.... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...hp/t49555.html that gives a big huge long list of things you can do if you have this virus.

There is another option worth trying. You could download an .iso and burn it as a bootable cd and boot into it and let it try to find and remove the virus. Here is an option for something like that. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

BTW, if you do go and download another antivirus scanner to install, such as McAfee etc, you will need to uninstall AVG first. Mulitiple virus scanning apps is never good. They do not "get along" well together.

This probably all sounds confusing and difficult and honestly it really can be. That is why the anti-virus software, cleanup, and removal business is a billion dollar industry. Another option is actually paying someone who owns a computer help/repair business (like myself) in your town to help you out.

Good luck.

-Jason
Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 PM

Reformat
Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 PM

have you tried deleting the toolbar?

You can also do a free online scan with Pest Patrol, just do a google search it will show you in the infected files and reg entries and you can delete them yourself.

Does it try to access the internet?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 AM

boot to safe mode.
delete any crap using add/remove programs
try manually deleting infected file
run full virus and spyware scans

http://www.symantec.com/security_res...alinstructions