Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Vegas bachelor party and poker - trip report

Cliff Notes at bottom.

Last weekend I went to LV for a bachelor party, the first one I've been to in about 7 years. 40 year old high school friend getting married for the first time.
Flew Southwest friday morning from LA in time for the Caesar's noon tournament. Did the rebuy immediately and played pretty tight, but didn't catch many cards. Just before the first break the short stack is in the big blind and I've got a pair of tens UTG+1. I raise, Uber-Lag calls, and shortie pushes for about 1000. I re-raise all in to force out the LAG, shortie flips AJo, catches a Jack on the flop, and I lose the race. No problem, I'm just a little below the average chip stack at the break. 30 minutes in to the next round, I am UTG with AKo. I raise, folded to BB who is a solid player and a big stack, who calls. Flop is K high rainbow, BB checks, I bet 3/4 pot, BB raises. I've already got more than 1/3 of my stack in the pot, and there is no way she's got a set. I re-raise all-in, she calls saying "I think you've got me crushed" but she's got the odds to call, and flips A4 spades. Cool, 90+% to double up, she needs runner runner spades or 4's. Turn is a spade, River is a spade. I hit my head on the table, and silently leave the room. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Time for some lunch. Walk over to O'sheas, and they've got a pizza place in the back. I like a beer with my pizza, but I'm too cheap to buy one. So I go to the blackjack tables to get a "free" beer while I play. Six hands later, I'm down $50 and pissed off, so I leave the table and go eat my $50 slice of pizza, without a beer. 20% of my weekend bankroll gone in the first two hours. Not a good start.

I go next door to the IP, since I hear the players really suck there. They do. The 1:00 tournament is just spitting out its first losers, and they open a new 1/2 NL table. A couple of decent players, but one guy was just donating big time. At least 4 times he said "I've got to call you" just before he went to the wallet for another $100. I never stacked him, but he put enough money on the table so that I was up $150 in about 4 hours. First guy shows up for the bachelor party, so we have a drink and then head to Bellagio.

The groom's brother has a friend who hooks us up with a suite at Bellagio. Very nice. We get up to the room - no alcohol. So we get reamed by the mini-bar, while we wait for the groom to show up. Finally everyone arrives (6 of us), so we head to Margaritaville for drinks and dinner. Later, we go to the brew pub at Monte Carlo for a few more beers. Stumble back to Bellagio at about 3AM.

Wake up at 7:30, everyone else is still passed out, so I go on the beer run and bring back 1-1/2 cases. Nothing like a breakfast beer. They are still dead, so I head over to Bally's for a little more 1/2 NL. Not much happened, lost about $40 of my $200 buy in when I kept getting priced in to draw to my nut flush that didn't hit, then get a call that its time for Brunch back at Bellagio.

Brunch is good, not great. The prime rib was okay, omellete station was good, smoked salmon was good, but I couldn't find a bagel to put it on. Oh well, time to gamble some more.

Nobody else in the group plays serious poker, so we go to Flamingo for some blackjack, craps, and Pai Gow. Sit down at the Pai Gow table and hear the story about the woman who just left the table with a $5,000 bonus (7 card straight flush with a joker, $5 x $1000-1). And everyone else who was playing the "envy bonus" got $500. Timing is everything, as the house starts to get even by taking me for $80. I thought Pai Gow was a slow game with a lot of pushes? After craps beat me up, we head back to Bellagio to hit the pool.
Nice pool area, not too hot, but its 2:00 and there are no chairs available. We spend some time in the pool, then head back up to the suite for beers and cards. Play poker with the guys, really low stakes (25 cent ante - whoo hoo) but the camraderie is great, and the beer is cheap and cold.

Taxis downtown to the California Hotel where we eat dinner at Redwood Grill. I really like this place, plus its an excuse to go downtown for a while. After dinner we stop for a drink or two at Glitter Gulch. No cover, but 2 drink minimum at $9 each. We get a booth which is nice since I promised my wife I wouldn't be participating in any stripper activities. Groom gets a nice lapdance, as do a couple of the other guys. Some hot women in here, but some really ugly ones too. Some very large bodies. Big girls need love too.

I leave the guys as they head off to Olympic Gardens, I go to Binions for a little poker. One guy at my table had to be on meth, just not a lot of fun. Cashed in about 1 hour later down $40. Played some craps and Let it Ride, got my ass kicked by the dice and cards, but made a great comeback at blackjack to be only down $25 more.

Back at Bellagio at 2AM, I ran into one of the guys who went to Olympic Garden. He walked back from O.G. because he was too cheap to pay for a cab by himself. Sheesh. We decide to hit the poker tables and play a little $4/$8 limit. Two hours later I was ready to call it a night up $125.

Three hours of sleep, and its off to the airport so I can get home in time for a 1 year old's birthday party. Beer? No thanks, just some water for me...

Cliff Notes: Bachelor party weekend, no hookers and blow, but won some money playing poker and saw naked fat chicks at Glitter Gulch. Good times.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Vegas bachelor party and poker - trip report

what a waste of a Vegas trip.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what a waste of a Vegas trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you some envious 17-year-old? Sounds like he had fun.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:56 PM

The Brew Pub at the Monte Carlo is always a good time. I go there every time I'm in Vegas.
Sounds like a good trip.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:49 PM

nice tr. bummer that your trip was so short, but nice play getting in early on the first day for tourny action. Well played getting back in time for the B-Day party!

~FishNChips
Old 08-23-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes: Bachelor party weekend, no hookers and blow, but won some money playing poker and saw naked fat chicks at Glitter Gulch. Good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty bad time.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty bad time.

[/ QUOTE ]

GIve the dude a break, hes 40 and his wife is cool enough to let him go to vegas with his boys. It sounds like he had a great time by the sounds of it.

This guy has got a family at home would you rather he go blow lots of $$$ on hookers and party hard everynight? Thats not very respectable.

Anyways, nice report to the OP and I hope im able to do the same when im 40.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:52 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, nice report to the OP and I hope im able to do the same when im 40.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 45 and the walker really gets in the way when trying to get a lap dance. Luckily I will die of old age soon and make room at the nursing home for the people in their 30's.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no hookers and blow . . . Good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a non-sequitur. How does one have "good times" at a bachelor party without eye and nose candy?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:35 PM

Nice Tr - next time find your self a trannie, they make for good trip reports also. !