Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 04:34 AM

Default $11s - Extracting with Quads

Suggestions for optimal sized bet on the river? Should I make a tricky overbet to induce a call?

Comments on all streets welcome - I didn't want to scare them all away with anything more than a min-bet. Or should I not have bet at all?

PartyPoker $11 Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t40 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2220)
UTG+1 (t2180)
MP1 (t1920)
MP2 (t1940)
MP3 (t2160)
CO+1 (t1880)
Hero (t1860)
Button (t2000)
SB (t1840)
BB (t2000)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to t80</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, Hero calls t80, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t40

Flop: (t260) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t40</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, MP2 calls t40

Turn: (t340) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t40</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to t80</font>, Hero calls t40

River: (t500) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">MP2 bets t200</font>, <font color="red">Hero ?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 AM

Default Re: $11s - Extracting with Quads

Since it is pretty impossible for anyone to have anything at all worth calling on flop I would prolly check there. Then when turn card is horrible as well I might have done same raise of 40 as you did.

At river I would propably raise back 200 and hope to get call. If he got 2, 5, 8 or A he might call, if higher pocket pair or full house you might get reraise.

I think anything fancier is very unlikely to work since there is so little villain can have.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 AM

Check flop. Bet more on turn and hope they have something. If you get raised, like you did, please reraise! River raise amount is debatable, I would raise to something like t650 on the river.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:52 AM

I really don't like the minbets you threw out. I'd much rather check the flop or bet a larger amount. And I really think the turn bet is terrible. He has already called one bet, might as well try for a little larger bet. As you played it I would raise to 500 or so on the river and hope for the best.

The problem with minbetting is that you are setting the bet size way to small. Look what happened on the turn: MP2 thought you had nothing and went for the checkraise. But you allowed his raise to be a miniscule 80 chips. And now the pot is relatively small on the river so you can't get your chips in without it being an overbet.

Imagine if you had even made your turn bet t100. His checkraise would have been to t200. The pot would then be t740 and if he wanted to make the same type of river bet, he'd be betting ~t300 or so. That's already an extra 220 chips.

Checking the flop is reasonable to allow your opponent to catch up. But when you decide to bet it should be at least 1/2 pot or so in order to start building a pot.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:03 AM

I thought this was a limit tourney up until the river...
What on earth are you trying to accomplish with these minibets?

Raise river to 800.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:53 AM

Has anyone actually gotten calls for kind of raises you are suggesting? I would think anyone would insta fold for such raises with board of 2TT58 without any flush possibility and with all T:s on hero's hand. Specially when pot is very small.

I think hero managed to gather very good pot here considering how bad board is for anyone else.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:56 AM

Auren, it's true that villain might percieve hero as a donkey that could be outplayed because of the minibets, but the truth is that he has got something he likes with his hand, and I don't see why he is soooo much more likely to pay off 400 than he is 800.

Oh and no he did not build a good sized pot, the pot is tiny. And you don't know if the board is good to villain or not.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:00 AM

looks like you should raise.

i mean

you do have the nuts and all.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:05 AM

Actually I don't see any indication that villain likes the board. He did min raise preflop. So he proapbly have two high cards and is hoping to hit one of them since hero is letting him to see it cheap. And when hero keeps being timid he tries to bluf pot at river.

Only cards that make it good for him are 22 55, 88 and pocket pairs bigger than that. And if he has any of those he is very likely to reraise back if you give him min reraise at river.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:23 AM

if you want to extract you have to bet more than 40 chips.