Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 03:18 AM

Default Tire Noise, I think

I have a 1998 Acura Integra, last week I had a set of 4 yokohama tires installed; however tonight when I drove home the left front began making an odd noise.

It sounded like it was flat, but wasn't, and it only made the noise when coasting, not when accelerating or braking.

Any clue what this could be? AM I right in thinking it is the tires, or is it something else? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Tire Noise, I think

Rotate the tires from front to back and see if the noise moves with it or disappears. If you dart hard to the left and then right does the noise amplify and then cease? I would suspect a wheel bearing if that is the case. I would also look for a warped rotor or bent shield behind that rotor. Did they check the brakes? If so, the tech that checked them may have bent that shield back to get his micrometer in there and maybe it's touching the rotor or rim under certain conditions. You'll definitely want to rotate the tires front to back and you can check these things when you do that. Give the rotor a spin and listen/watch. Does it wobble back and forth? Do you hear it alternately contact the pads and then go silent? If so, it's warped and might be the cause of the noise. Look for shiny spots at the edges of the rotor for signs that it is coming into contact with some part that it shouldn't be touching. Look at the inside of the rim for these marks too. Start simple and get it into a good mechanic if none of these checks finds your problem. If you don't find any problems once you get the wheels off I suspect that the noise follows the tire to the back or ceases completely. That would be ideal.