Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 02:18 AM

Default Fly to PR to beat him down?

So I just got married about a month ago. We live in the States, but my wifey is from Puerto Rico and we got married down there. We were using this wedding coordinator from PR that had been referred to us by a friend of her family. Turns out that the guy is a total d-bag and we had lots of problems with him during the planning.

(As additional background he is gay and sassy...I have no problem with gay folks generally so that's not my complaint...but he completely fits the stereotypical gay guy with mucho attitude...reminded me so much of Tyler on the last Real World for those that watched it.)

So, 2 days before the wedding my gf gets into a little arguement with him and is telling him she is disappointed he doesn't have some things ready that he was supposed to finish already. This prompts him to say he's never been so insulted in his life and quit leaving us to plan a wedding in 2 days. I was extremely close to beating him down right there, but I held back and just berated him and told him to get the F out.

We had given this guy ~$3K already for down payments, etc. for various vendors, so he writes us a check right there as repayment. I find out last week that the check has bounced. I have called the dude several times last week and finally got an e-mail back from him late last week asking for my home address so he could mail a check. I sent it to him, told him to mail me a check overnight and to let me know when it's coming. I have not heard from him since then, which was about 4 days ago.

Any thoughts on my next move? I am planning to call the police to file a complaint and to call a collections agency tomorrow, but I am also seriously considering flying down there and showing up at his aptmt since I have his address from the check. I care about the money to some degree, but I think I would give it up to have the chance to just bust his head open.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Fly to PR to beat him down?

Your not going to get that money back, and I doubt that the police can help you. Just get your parents and her parents to help plan the rest of the wedding, get married and be happy. Forget the $3k, karma will take care of it.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:25 AM

obviously the answer is yes
Old 08-22-2006, 02:26 AM

I would how much is a plane ticket?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:28 AM

fly me to PR i'll handle it

NT
Old 08-22-2006, 02:30 AM

Additional factor: Plane ticket doesn't actually cost me any $...just frequent flier miles since I fly a lot....and I have over 300K of those so it's not a big deal to use them.

NT!...how does next weekend work for you?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Additional factor: Plane ticket doesn't actually cost me any $...just frequent flier miles since I fly a lot....and I have over 300K of those so it's not a big deal to use them.

NT!...how does next weekend work for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

no problem... where are you putting me up?

i don't need a passport to get to PR do I? hasn't come yet.

NT
Old 08-22-2006, 02:42 AM

Nah, no passport needed.

I don't think I can miss out on the satisfaction of doing it myself though, so I might turn this into a vacation weekend/beat down trip soon. Odds on him filing charges after this are 99.9% though, but I'm still leaning towards it being worth it.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:13 PM

sounds like you simply have to bring the pain
Old 08-22-2006, 03:30 PM

This would make for an interesting trip report. However, what do you think the chances are that he keeps a gun in his apartment? If you're pounding at his door threatening his life, you might be met with a bullet. This is Puerto Rico after all...

Also, the police won't get involved. It's a civil matter. You're only recourse is to sue him in small claims court.