Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Live 5-10 at Harrahs New Orleans

Good game. I bought in for $1200 and am up to $2500 in about 2 hours. Villain in this hand is very tight and is not likely to make a move. He has $900 and I cover.

UTG limps, folds to MP who makes it $45 to go (MP is TAG), folded to me in the BB and I call with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG calls. 3 to the flop. $140 in the pot.

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check (first mistake?), UTG checks, MP bets $100. I smooth call (Second Mistake), UTG then check raises to $300. MP folds. Now $640 in the pot, villain has $560 behind. I deliberate and go all in.

Now, I limited UTG's range to 88,77,55, maybe A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Should I have smoothed called and gone all in on the turn regardless of what the card was? I did not lead out on the flop b/c I knew MP would make a standard continuation bet. I got what I wanted, but did not execute the check raise. My real question is what do you do facing the $300 check raise? Is this an obvious squeeze?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-21-2006, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Live 5-10 at Harrahs New Orleans

with this kind of draw heavy board, i'm leading at it hoping for someone to raise, then I might call and c/r or lead a safe turn. I suppose check raising is ok, but it's a high variance play
Old 08-21-2006, 11:34 PM

All yo can eat.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

what is MP's stack size?....that info is pretty crucial to know what the right flop play is.....given the way you played it, of course you call....he's not likely bluffing or semi-bluffing, he's got a hand.....but you've under-represented yours, and most importantly there's $340 in the pot and he has like $760 left.....

btw, who is villain? (MP and UTG)....
Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 PM

Even if you didn't describe your opponent with this line:

[ QUOTE ]
Villain in this hand is very tight and is not likely to make a move.

[/ QUOTE ]

the answer to this question:
[ QUOTE ]
Is this an obvious squeeze?

[/ QUOTE ]

is obviously not a squeeze. villian likes his hand here a lot. but i like yours a lot more. all in.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is MP's stack size?....that info is pretty crucial to know what the right flop play is.....

[/ QUOTE ]

MP had around $600 left after his $100 bet on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
who is villain? (MP and UTG)....

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is Frank, an older man from Baton Rouge, usually drives down with Mike F to play on Saturday and Sunday (at least those are the only days I am there when I see him). We have logged a lot of hours together, and he knows I could be potentially calling with a draw or a made straight in this situation, so that is why I thought maybe smooth calling the c/r and moving in on the turn would get him to fold a better hand (i.e. 77).

I have only played with MP a few times, not sure what his name is. Muscular guy, dark hair, late 20s or early 30s.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
given the way you played it, of course you call

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, by "call" I meant for the rest of his stack (i.e. - get it all-in on the flop).....
Old 08-22-2006, 02:27 AM

this is a really bad board to squeeze without a hand that can stand some action, because you'll get it

can't be bothered to do the math but I think pushing is +EV unless he shows you 77
Old 08-22-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Results

Yeah, I think I am looking at this retrospectively hand since he called and showed 77. I was wondering if I smooth called the c/r, and then pushed the turn if a diamond or 9 hit the board, could I get him to fold 77 getting 2:1 on the rest of his $ with one card to come.

He either has 55 or 77, so I guess all the money is going in regardless.

Thanks for everyone's help.