Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 04:21 PM

Default Pocket 4\'s in BB, flopped set

Villian seems solid. Doesn't do anything out of the ordinary and shows down good hands.

.25/.50

Hero is BB with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian is CO

Preflop - 2 folds, UTG+2 calls, 1 fold, MP2 raises, Villian calls, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls
<font color="blue">Big pot here and I'm in the BB, so I thought calling 1 more bet with a PP was fine here. No set, no bet was my obvious frame of mind here. </font>

Flop - 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, Villian raises, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, MP2 folds, Villian caps, Hero calls
<font color="blue">Seemed like a nice flop for me, but after Villians cap I was thinking he had a better set. Maybe he hit 2 pair, but no way was he playing this aggressive with a straight draw or AQ. </font>

Turn - 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, Villian raises, Hero calls
<font color="blue">Now I'm thinking I'm dead. Check/call river here the right play? </font>

River - Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Villian bets, Hero calls
Old 08-20-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Pocket 4\'s in BB, flopped set

I prefer the check raise on the flop myself as I want to see who is going to play the pot with the preflop aggressor here. Judging by the action I would say that Villian is playing QJ.

I am not too concerned with the ten as the AK slow play preflop combined with an over aggressive play for a draw on the flop is extremely unlikely.

Pocket QQ or JJ are not really good preflop plays for him while QJ makes a lot of sense. I like a 3 bet on the turn as he is drawing to 4 outs.

River 4 outer hits. I never know what protocal is here I almost always call this down and say NH here.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:48 PM

I pretty much ruled out AK, so the 10 on the turn didn't concern me much. However, something about this hand just screamed QQ or JJ. QJ was certainly a possibility, but if my read on this guy was correct he would be way over playing that hand.

I was toying with a c/r on the flop. I think you're right that would have been a better play.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:49 PM

I almost want to bet and fold this river. I'm too much of a pussy though.

Nice hand.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much ruled out AK, so the 10 on the turn didn't concern me much. However, something about this hand just screamed QQ or JJ. QJ was certainly a possibility, but if my read on this guy was correct he would be way over playing that hand.

I was toying with a c/r on the flop. I think you're right that would have been a better play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you played the flop perfectly.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:30 PM

flop is def a bet-3bet.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:59 PM

I find it hard to beleive he has QQ/JJ because of PF action, since you say Villian is solid and a solid player will 3-bet with those PF.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:22 PM

*grunch*

You're shortchanging us by not telling us about UTG+2 or MP2. Is MP2 legit or just possibly trying to isolate UTG+2?

PREFLOP: Fine.

FLOP: I check this with the intention of raising. With two cards in the playing zone, you've got to expect some action coming behind you. The cap is perplexing. It's a sure way to win the least if his hand is so strong. If he's on a bigger set, he's better off waiting for a more expensive street to pop you.

If I had to guess, I'd expect an overpair here or AQ because he called two cold pf and he's raising madly to protect a vulnerable holding. QJ is far too speculative a hand unless you know the table is loose enough to come along despite the PFR.

TURN: As played, I check this with the intention of raising. He capped; he's going to bet again. Donking a scary turn card may slow him down. You're playing like you're behind here.

RIVER: As played, I raise/call the river.

---

Set over Set, while devastating, just doesn't happen that often. Especially on a flop like this without more preflop action. You don't think QQ or JJ would have 3-bet immediately following the PFR to isolate? That's a pretty specific non-play to make and if you've got a read like that you need to share it.
MUBS
Old 08-20-2006, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*grunch*

You're shortchanging us by not telling us about UTG+2 or MP2. Is MP2 legit or just possibly trying to isolate UTG+2?

PREFLOP: Fine.

FLOP: I check this with the intention of raising. With two cards in the playing zone, you've got to expect some action coming behind you. The cap is perplexing. It's a sure way to win the least if his hand is so strong. If he's on a bigger set, he's better off waiting for a more expensive street to pop you.

If I had to guess, I'd expect an overpair here or AQ because he called two cold pf and he's raising madly to protect a vulnerable holding. QJ is far too speculative a hand unless you know the table is loose enough to come along despite the PFR.

TURN: As played, I check this with the intention of raising. He capped; he's going to bet again. Donking a scary turn card may slow him down. You're playing like you're behind here.

RIVER: As played, I raise/call the river.

---

Set over Set, while devastating, just doesn't happen that often. Especially on a flop like this without more preflop action. You don't think QQ or JJ would have 3-bet immediately following the PFR to isolate? That's a pretty specific non-play to make and if you've got a read like that you need to share it.
MUBS

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the opponent we had on the river was the pre-flop raiser.

Since he isn't I agree our hero should put more bets in. I would do that by 3-betting the turn.

Sorry 'bout that.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop is def a bet-3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop comments seem to be split between bet out and c/r. I'm going to throw my vote into c/r. With the pfr two to my left I want him to cb and then hopefully trap the field for two bets (other than the guy between us). If we bet out and he raises and gets up heads up I can three bet, but I think there is more value in the c/r.

On the rest of the hand I think I play it the same, I think donk vs. c/r on the turn is close either way. The river card hits many of the hands that he could be playing like this. As mentioned QQ and JJ aren't real likely given pf, but possible. Seems a little overaggresive of AQ or KQ given the solid read, but possible. Smells a lot like QJ.

Maybe put his range at AQ, KQs, QJs QQ, JJ ( I left our KQo and QJo due to the cc pf). That gives us 10 hands we beat (8-AQ and 2-KQ) and 6 that beat us (1 QQ, 3 JJ, 2 QJs). I'm not sure AQ off is that likely with the action. I think c/c river is fine.