Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 12:56 PM

Default betting into dry pots

say someone is all in, and after the flop i likely have the best hand of the 3 people in the pot, should i bet to eliminate the active player? or is tthis a poor play betting into a dry pot?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:07 PM

Default Re: betting into dry pots

depends on the strength of your hand, and the size of the main pot compared to your stack
Old 08-20-2006, 05:13 PM

Also the size of the opponent's stack.

If you are going to bet against an opponent with a third player already all in, and you figure that both you and the opponent yet to act may have the third player beat, then you have to act as if there is no side pot and bet accordingly.

If you think you are way ahead of the opponent yet to act, but the all in player is in-between, then you may have to bet to lure the 3rd place player into the hand.

In other words, how you bet and play the hand is entirely dependent upon where you think ALL THREE hands stand in relation to each other.

You have to take your best shot at determining where all three players sit in relative strength, bet/check the hand accordingly, and take your chances from there.

An important note is that this requires you to put players on a range and make your decisions from there.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:08 PM

If u have a good or made hand, i think you should value bet a lot of the time in this situation. You may end up adding important chips to your stack. This is often a very dependent circumstance though. If the player all in has a lot of chips, then you should be less apt to bet, so his chances of being eliminated do not decrease. Hands like tptk, or even bottom two would be questionable, imo, to bet, when the player has more than a few bb's and/or is a dangerous player.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:13 PM

I think you need to protect a stong hand against draws as well. No need to let the others suck out.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:30 PM

As long as you figure to be ahead of the all-in player it is usually correct to try and protect your hand. This means that it is often correct to bet something like AK unimproved especially if it will get someone to fold an underpair even if you are a slight underdog to the all-in player.

People constantly misplay this situation since protecting your hand is far more important than eliminating a shortstack at least 80-90% of the time.

Obviously the play is situation dependant, as you should check down pretty much anything if you are on the bubble of a satellite but should be betting a wide range of hands when you are a couple levels into a standard multi.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
say someone is all in, and after the flop i likely have the best hand of the 3 people in the pot, should i bet to eliminate the active player? or is tthis a poor play betting into a dry pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why care if it is 203 or 204 players left in a tournament. What you care about is to win the pot. I bet into dry pots with anything if I happen to end up in one and I think the other player(s) will fold. Checking someone down is the most misunderstood play among the low limit players, who can berate you for raising when someone goes all in and there is 762 out of 1276 players left in the tournament.

I sometimes bet into dry pots and bet people off their hands just to piss them off If I don't like them, even If I know the All in player has me beat. =) It's cute when they start spamming the chat afterwards and then tilt it up a little. I don't know how many times they've tried to punnish me back and tried to pull a move on me at a bad time.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I sometimes bet into dry pots and bet people off their hands just to piss them off If I don't like them, even If I know the All in player has me beat. =) It's cute when they start spamming the chat afterwards and then tilt it up a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting with a hand like a flush draw and no overcards is pretty much always a terrible play. Of course checkraising with the same hand can often be correct.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I sometimes bet into dry pots and bet people off their hands just to piss them off If I don't like them, even If I know the All in player has me beat. =) It's cute when they start spamming the chat afterwards and then tilt it up a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting with a hand like a flush draw and no overcards is pretty much always a terrible play. Of course checkraising with the same hand can often be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a standard play. I only do it if some certain conditions are met. Or if villain is the 'teacher in the chat guy' who will asume I have a huge hand just because I bet into dry side pot, just to get him yapping even more in the chat about 'this and that'. If it causes him to play worse I've gained, and it often does in 10+1s.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:03 PM

I will generally bet a dry sidepot if I have any made hand. Even bottom pair is worth pushing out overs to increase your chance of winning. Especially if winning the pot would be signifigant to you. If I have 20BBs and there's someone all-in on a 12BB pot, I might bet with as little as AK high if I think I can get the other players to fold and I think it might beat villian. If there's around 3BBs in the pot and I have around 40-50BBs, I might check down middle pair.

Some people think you should only bet a really good hand and check it down even with hands like TPTK. This is a mistake, poker is not a team game. You should be giving yourself the best chance to win.

Satellites are different obviously. And you could use different rules for Final Tables.