Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 09:21 AM

Default QQ, should\'ve laid it down

i don't have the HH for the hand on this computer, but i'll make it simple...

just switched tables, blinds are 100-200 25ante, i have QQ ep, i open for 2.5x bb, folded around to big blind , he calls flop comes 446 rainbow, he bets 200 into something like a 1500 pot, i re raise about 1200, he calls, turn is 9 he checks...for some veerrrry stupid reason i push my stack in which was like 6000, he calls instantly and has a4...

so obv, that had to be one of the worst hands i've ever played. i think my pre flop raise was too small, more 3.5 -4.5x bb instead of 2.5, and i made a very very dumb play on the turn, so, how would u have played on the turn after the flop re-raise was called??
Old 08-20-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Re: QQ, should\'ve laid it down

I think your opening raise is fine. When he called your raise on the flop I would slow down. He either has a 4 or an overpair like 55-1010, most likely. I would check it down after he called your raise.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 AM

Raise more preflop at least 3x bb. I like your play after the flop. I would also slow down after the flop once he called your flop bet. For what its worth, you're gonna lose alot of your stack here anyways.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:57 AM

2.5 open is fine, I am going broke here every time in a low-buyin tournament because too many people have random pockets < QQ for me to slow down. Valuebet instead of shoving , but it seems you know this already.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:08 AM

bet 1500 if he moves in fold or call which in my case woulda been a call. But atleast you got more information on the turn to help in the decision making process. I would put him on TT-88 myself and called unless the 9 on turn freaked me out and made me think he had 99. But the best thing I did for myself was get more information.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:31 AM

I think the pf raise was too small, because you were more likely to get multiple callers given your position, but it worked out for you in that only the BB called.

On the turn, your goal should be to get him to commit all his chips with his pocket pair. I don't necessarily hate your push. An 88 or 77 would find it very hard to lay this down. But normally I would raise about 60% of the pot, then push the river.

The fact that he had A4 is almost irrelevant here. Usually you would be facing a pocket pair that is higher than a 6 (the highest card on the flop). Don't be results oriented.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2.5 open is fine, I am going broke here every time in a low-buyin tournament because too many people have random pockets < QQ for me to slow down. Valuebet instead of shoving , but it seems you know this already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmn. I've been thinking about my pre-flop ranges a little recently. My rule has generally been to raise the same amount for every level. 4x for first level. 3x thereafter. Somewhere around 2.5 once the antes kick in. I do this to make the raises themselves difficult to read.

However, I am currently discarding this practice at lower buy-ins because no-one pays attention anyway and there I suspect that the value to be had in mixing up my pre-flop raise size outweighs the danger, at a low buy-in, that anyone is paying attention and will exploit their reads.

There's nothing 'wrong' with a 2.5 raise from ep with QQ but I'd probably raise more so that [censored] aces in the blinds are making a bigger mistake in calling and to maximise profit when mid-pairs come along. If 77 is calling from MP, he's calling a bigger bet and I have more chance of committing him to the pot on the flop. Also, just about the worst feeling in poker is raising 1010-QQ small from ep and seeing four people call behind for value.

I'm going broke here, by the way, but it will be by calling down from the turn or by bet, check, betting.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:08 PM

are you asking for advice or bitching?
Old 08-20-2006, 03:53 PM

obv, asking for advice, i feel if i played the hand differently i might have lost most my stack, but atleast not all of it, im not sure what u mean by bitchin, if we got it all in pre flop i would've been a little upset, but w/e
Old 08-21-2006, 04:51 AM

Since it's a new table and you're out of position I'd raise more preflop.