Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 08:18 AM

Default Late tourney AK preflop

I'm a limidonk and do not play a lot of tourneys, hence the question. Just transferred to the table, no reads. What's the best move?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t200/t400
(Ante: t50)
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to t5980</font>, Button folds, Hero...

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Late tourney AK preflop

Stack sizes are important. You can't really write a valid answer to the question without knowing them.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:20 AM

I didn't see they were missing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'll have to see if I can find them again...
Old 08-20-2006, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a limidonk and do not play a lot of tourneys, hence the question. Just transferred to the table, no reads. What's the best move?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t200/t400
(Ante: t50)
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to t5980</font>, Button folds, Hero...

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP1 6,030
CO 16,150
Hero 8,460
Old 08-20-2006, 01:17 PM

how many people are left?

frankly, this is a complete tossup as far as i can tell. but then i've been experimenting with more "folding AK preflop" moves.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:34 PM

I would generally fold here because I have zero FE. Having no reads, I have no reason to think that CO is making this move with a smaller ace.

Pushing AK is fine if the times you are called and flipping for your stack as a small dog are compesnated by the times you get called by a dominated ace (and your hand holds up) or villain folds. CO's not folding here and OR is almost certainly only calling with a very big pair or AK.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:28 PM

About 24 left, 18 got paid. I folded this one, not b/c to get in the money, but just b/c I thought I could be in bad shape. I wanted to know if there are more people that could fold in this spot, also against unknowns. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:09 PM

So what you're saying here is that "when CL isolating/putting all-in a shortstack with an M of 10 his range is exactly KK+, AKs"....

I doubt that it is, but maybe it is??? I'd sure like to know.... Because I push and most likley race with the CO only with extra money in the pot... I think he has TT-QQ and AQ here a lot more often than KK+...
Old 08-20-2006, 04:21 PM

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that, given what he's invested and the small amount that I will be able to reraise by pushing, that he is going to call with anything he's moved with, and unless I have a good read that he does this with AQ, which I don't because I'm new to the table, I am either flipping as a dog or splitting here or perhaps totally [censored] (but I hadn't considered that). Essentially, without reads, I am behind his range and it seems unwise to stack off on that basis, when I haven't yet invested anything in the pot.

Furthermore, the appeal of nearly tripling up is counterbalanced by the fact that OR only calls a raise and a push with more hands that are beating me or counterfeiting my outs.