Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 03:36 AM

Default My semi-bluffs never work

Semi-bluffing is something that I think is a pretty big leak in my game. I always seem to pull the trigger at the wrong times, and this is something I need to refine.

Villain is loose-donkish. I've tangled a bit with him before and he will bet big with mediocre and vulnerable hands like top pair or second pair, but then slow down on the river if unimproved. He could also be bluffing, FWIW. I think that this preflop call is pretty thin but I figured I could bust him if I got a huge flop. After his turn bet I put him on a weaker hand such as top pair, or even air. Not sure if he can fold TPGK, though.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $453.70
UTG+1: $521.13
CO: $777.10
Button: $376.40
Hero: $400.50
BB: $1317.30

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $15</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($34, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $27</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($88, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $65</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $358.5</font>.
Uncalled bets: $358.5 returned to Hero.

River: : ($511.5, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $511.5)
Old 08-20-2006, 05:49 AM

Default Re: My semi-bluffs never work

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is loose-donkish

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if he can fold TPGK, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad guy to bluff. This is the kind of guy where you put your money in when you are ahead.

Also you aren't representing a straight. It's not logical that you have a straight on this board with this action. So this bet would say to me that you either have a set or a semibluff. Do you bet this big on the turn with a set? The story you are telling with your betting doesen't really add up to me.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:57 AM

looks good ur pair is probably the best hand i dont think its a bluf
Old 08-20-2006, 10:09 AM

i dont like this call HU OOP, if u dont hit huge then ure just going to be drawing OOP and be forced to do what u did or to fold the turn, whereas in position u have much more control of the hand. if its multiway, i obviously wouldnt mind the call as much since theres more $ and more of a chance ull win a big hand if u flop huge.

as playd, looks good to me. but edit the results so that we cant see that it workd. if he does give up on the river with just one pair all the time, why not just call? unless u think ure folding out 99-JJ or an 8 w/ a better kicker. either way is prb ok tho.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 AM

You're not sure he can fold top pair but you're bluffing with second pair. Do you see why this is wrong?