Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 12:09 AM

Default $11 \'Stars, CO steal, checked to river straight and concerned...

...the preflop raise was variation from steal so...raise more? I wanted to play the hand aggressively but not commit a great deal on Jack high. Table was fairly passive, I wasn't too worried about the people who were still in the hand except small blind - but I had position on him and figured he would reraise if he had me reasonably beat. Buttons call of my raise was pretty quick which is why I used 45 of the 60 seconds of time before making my decision on the river.

How often am I beat here? I knew the guy who bet the river first was weak, he probably had a hand like 9T or K9. He was a calling station and deadly obvious player. He did not concern me. He might have even had 89s.

How could I have played this hand differently to have a better idea of the hand on the river?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1315)
UTG+1 (t885)
MP1 (t1470)
Hero (t1815)
Button (t1080)
SB (t4215)
BB (t2720)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t50, <font color="red">Hero raises to t150</font>, Button calls t150, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, MP1 calls t100

Flop: (t525) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
MP1 checks, Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: (t525) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
MP1 checks, Hero checks, Button checks

River: (t525) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">MP1 bets t100</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t375</font>, <font color="red">Button raises to t650</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>

Hero?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:16 AM

Default Re: $11 \'Stars, CO steal, checked to river straight and concerned...

Fold this pf. Stealing is fine when you are first in a pot but with a limper and you only raising 100 more I dont like it. This really isnt a bad flop though. I think you should c-bet around 350. No flush or straight draws. If you get called then just check/fold. River I would call, the only hand I think he would check down then 3 bet the river would be quads or maybe 7's full. Either way I pay it off.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:17 AM

That steal attempt is ridiculous. Just limp if you want to play it.

As played, push the river - there's very little chance you're beat.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:18 AM

If you want to play like this then go play NL25 or something, raising here with your stack at an $11 SNG is pretty atrocious.

As played just push over Buttons raise, no way am I folding a straight to leave myself with 500ish chips. Yes he might have a boat here, but 11 players are idiots. He could have 56,78,89,A9,K9,2x here so there is no way I'm folding.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:12 AM

Is folding really necessary? Hero has a few extra chips to play with, and JTs can be very profitable if you can get in cheaply. I like a limp here, though I guess folding is standard if you hate playing postflop.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:26 AM

raising here is definitely a bad idea with this hand at this blind level w/a limper already in the pot. i fold this pre-flop but if you want to play limp. on the river i'm paying this bet off - you have the high straight even with the paired board - this is about the best you can ask for with your hand.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is folding really necessary? Hero has a few extra chips to play with, and JTs can be very profitable if you can get in cheaply. I like a limp here, though I guess folding is standard if you hate playing postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think limping is ok here as long as you're usually safe from a raise behind you. I'm folding though.