Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 05:02 PM

Default I need a referenced definition of \"Nut Flush\"

I am in a pickle. I have a game to go to in 2hrs. There will be someone there that I made a bet with. The bet was as follows: we were in a home game and a 24suited hand made the flush on the river and won the pot. Mr. Knowitall stated "he has the nut flush". I told him he was wrong and he challenged me with a bet that that was the nut flush. Anyway I accepted for $20. A small sum but I paid off a bet to keep the peace with him before when he claimed that Websters dicitonary was wrong. I will not do this again (unless I am wrong).

I told him that the A with another suited card was the nut flush and that the K with a suited card would have been the nut flush if the A had been on the board. My understanding of the term is that it is basically used to describe the highest possible flush that could be made on the board. He seems to think that the nut flush is the highest flush at show down.

I need a respected internet reference that can show him. That is unless I am wrong and I know that will be pointed out if I am. I have searched for days and can not find exactly what I want, which is something he can not deny. My 2+2 books do not have the crystal clear def that I am looking for.

Thank you for reading this.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: I need a referenced definition of \"Nut Flush\"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_hand

Also, from Dictionary of Poker

[ QUOTE ]
4. (adj) In hold 'em, pertaining to the best possible hand at a given point in a pot; usually followed by flush or straight, sometimes by high or low. For example, if four spades are on the board, whoever has the ace of spades as one of his hole cards has the nut flush. If Aspade Kspade 9spade 8spade are on the board, whoever has the queen of spades as one of his hole cards has the nut flush. If 9spade 8heart 7diamond 3heart 2diamond are on the board, whoever has any T-J has the nut

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-19-2006, 06:17 PM

is you have As6s and the board is 2s 3s 5s Jd Td. you have the nut flush. you are wrong, if i am interpreting you right (and it seems there is a very good chance i am not).

basically you have the As so no one else can have As Ks.

EDIT: i reread, yea you are right its the highest flush possible given the board.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:39 AM

A nut hand is the best hand possible, not the best hand shown down.

When referring to the nut-flush this usually means you are holding the A (but obviously if the A is on board then you need the K, if AK is on board than the Q etc). Note that if you have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on a Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] board you don't have the nuts but still have the nut flush since any hand that beats you isn't a flush. (Similarly if you were holding A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] here you would have the nut-straight which is pretty far from the actual nuts.)

Also, your hand can make higher nut hands impossible thus upgrading a hand that wouldn't normally be the nuts to nut status. For example, if the board is AAK73 then AA is the nuts, but if you hold AK then it prevents anyone from holding AA so you have the nuts. Or if the board is 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] then 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the straight-flush is the nuts, but if you hold A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then no straight-flush is possible and you hold the nuts (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the other hand doesn't offer the same protection since you can still lose to 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).
Old 08-20-2006, 09:49 AM

Your friend is retarded. So you only know you have the nutflush at showdown?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:50 PM

A flush that is the nuts.

Duh.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the responses. Different people seem to use the term in different ways in an attempt to show others that they have a command of the game. Kind of silly if you ask me. Good to let them think that they are the most clever people alive.