Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Difficult River Decision...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Hero ($558.95)
Button ($46)
SB ($186.15)
BB ($140.75)
UTG ($247.80)
MP ($219.90)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, A. SB posts a blind of $1.
1 fold, MP raises to $8, Hero calls $8, 3 folds.

Flop: ($19) 9, Q, T (2 players)
MP bets $14, Hero calls $14.

Turn: ($47) 9 (2 players)
MP bets $38, Hero calls $38.

River: ($123) 6 (2 players)
MP bets $90, Hero...

Opponent in this hand was playing a typical TAG style, 21%vpip/17%pfr. Although I only have 150 hands on him in PT, his aggression factor is 4.75. He has only shown down 3 hands in this time, all insignificant as they have been very small pots and mostly blind play.

My thought process in the hand is as follows:

Preflop:
Villian makes a standard 4x preflop raise, I call with AQs in position.

Flop:
The flop gives me TPTK. I face a 3/4s pot size bet and decide to call and re-evaluate turn. I probably could have reraised here, but I don't like building a big pot in with a connected board like we have here. His range could really be anything here, a continuation bet with any pair, any piece of the board, a straight or flush draw (not a narrow range I know).

Turn:
Board pairs. Villan bets 3/4 pot again. This shows some strength to me, I put Villan on either AK trying to push me off the hand, possibly KQ/QJ or JJ for the oesd. Also possible he flopped a set with QQ or TT. He still could have a good flush draw hand like AKd or AJd. I call again expecting my hand is likely good. An overpair KK or AA is also a v.strong possibility.

River:

River is a blank, flush and straight draws did not get there. Villan fires out another bet of $90 (his 3rd 3/4pot bet). At this point I put him on one of two things, AK or AJd making a 3rd attempt at taking down the pot. Or a huge hand such as QQ/TT. He likely has me on a Queen or a missed flush/straight draw at this point and probably nothing else.

Would he really make this kind of bet with an overpair? It seems like too large of a bet in this case. Wouldn't he want to bet smaller and extract money from me if I have a piece of the board? Or possibly check and give me a shot at bluffing my "missed draw"?

At this point I put him squarely on either AK/AJd or a full house.

Thoughts?
-What would you do on the river given this action and the way the hand played out?
-Would you have played the hand differently given the board texture or used pot-control like I did?

Thanks for any insight/opinions!
Old 08-19-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Difficult River Decision...

You should 3bet preflop. Barring that, your flop and turn play are very passive considering the strength of your hand and the drawyness of the board.

As played, stop looking for scary monsters and super creeps under your bed. Call the river.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:05 PM

Given how you played it, you have to call the river. FWIW i dont think this line is bad against aggro villains, just make sure to call river.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:12 PM

Prolly mgiht of wanted to rasie either the flop or turn, to find out where you are in the hand, with the wide range of possible hands, it is probboaly profitabel to call on the river, not jsut for the possible win, but for future refrence
Old 08-19-2006, 03:20 PM

RR pf or on flop.

As played, i probably call river. KQ/JQ/JT/QT are all very possible.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:22 PM

thanks for the input, I generally raise the preflop bet. Sometimes I mix it up and call with position, which is obviously what I did here.

One of my main problems in NL play is losing big pots with 1pair type hands. Which is what helped me decide to call flop/turn for pot-control.

I actually folded the hand, but afterwards I felt strongly that I should have called to see JJ, AK, or AJd