Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Value Bet River?

Seat 7 is a good aggressive player. In other hands he's bet scary/ semi-scary boards aggressively to fold weaker boards even with weak holdings.

In retrospect I think I should have value bet the River. Comments?

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (4.20 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (5.10 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.10 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (9.10 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (9.10 BB)
Old 08-19-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Value Bet River?

In this case, I would generally bet out. Perhaps it is a leak on my part but the villian has been aggressive the entire hand and now you are betting into him.

In this case it has a twofold purpose

1) The villian might drop a weak two pair figuring you nailed the flush on the river

and

2) you do have a hand which could beat a wide variety of hands vs this villian. Though in this case that is mostly from my knowledge of the villian in question since i was sitting at the table during that hand and have a few hundred hands with him.

I was expecting the bet out on your part , worst case he raises and you can decide to make the crying call or fold if you really think he has you beat.

But like i said it could be a leak on my part but I like to push for extra bets at this limit since a lot of times the players are chasing with non quality hands.

I'm still new to the game so I am interested to see what the veteran players think the optimal line should be.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2006, 02:46 PM

Most players won't fold two pair on the river. If he has two pair, it is mostly likely jacks or queens up, but he might check behind with two pair or even trips, fearing a check-raise.

But you have an open pair. He probably won't call you with one pair, where he might call with unimproved jacks if you had a hidden two pair.

Of course, this is all player dependent, but I lean toward checking, and having an open pair just makes it less likely that you will get a worse hand to call, but it probably doesn't make better hands any more likely to fold.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:04 PM

Thinking further, I'd come to the same conclusion as PokrLikeItsProse, so I'm happy with it now as originally played.

What's your screen name Caffinated?
Old 08-19-2006, 11:49 PM

When you make open Fours and he still bets, it sure looks like he has two pair, and those two pair are probably bigger than yours. I think you can only chicken-call.