Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Consecutive days worked

I'm scanning over the web trying to find any info on whether or not there are laws in place saying how many days are you able to work consecutively before given a day off. I've been told you can't work for more than 7 without being given time off. Is this different between full time/part time positions? Does this really exist or not? I'm already looking at dol.gov, so you don't need to send me there. Is this a state issue rather than a national issue? I'm looking at that right now too. FYI, I've worked from last Tuesday and will be working straight until next Wednesday.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Consecutive days worked

I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist, but if it does exist somewhere in the US, it's surely a state thing.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:53 AM

It was pretty standard to work three weeks of twelve hour days when I worked on Prudhoe Bay, so its definitely not a national thing.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:56 AM

Once you hit 18, you're pretty much at the liberty of your employer as to how much you work. I'm no expert, but I have tried reading up on this and never found anything specific on it in state or national level.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:02 AM

The only job I ever had was the summer after my senior year in highschool setting up/taking down firework stands. Since all the work is concentrated between June 15th-July 10th they had us work 10+ hour days everyday in that period. So from my experience I would guess that there isn't a max consecutive days. Although they did hire most workers through a temp agency so maybe that's how they got around it. But even their full time employees who worked in the office worked everyday.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:02 AM

You might want to find a new line of work if you can't handle working 8 days in a row. There are people in factories who have worked 12x7 for more than 52 weeks in a row. There are certain overtime laws and stuff for hourly employees, but those definitely vary by state.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:03 AM

In Illinois you're employer can't schedule you for 7 consecutive days without your permission. Although they really don't have to ask.... they can just do it and hope you don't say no.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:05 AM

I believe you have to be given at least 8 hours off between shifts (to sleep), but I haven't heard about any restrictions on consecutive days. FWIW, I once worked a little over five weeks without a day off, about 50 hours a week, but the boss went two weeks longer without taking a day off, so it wasn't really a problem.

Scott
Old 08-19-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe you have to be given at least 8 hours off between shifts (to sleep)

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not true.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In Illinois you're employer can't schedule you for 7 consecutive days without your permission. Although they really don't have to ask.... they can just do it and hope you don't say no.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what happens if you do say something? I'm sure a job with a union will stand up for you but if you're not in a union, I see this as a "so what, tough crap" situation.