Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 11:39 AM

Default OT: $16s vs $27s

I know this doesn't apply to everybody, but it seems like a lot of successful $16 players who move up to the $27's tend to have pretty poor results. Are they really that much harder/different than the $16's that just makes it that difficult to adjust? And why do people just stay there and take a beating when they could just drop back to the $16's for a steady earn? I myself have never even played a $27 before so I don't know, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Re: OT: $16s vs $27s

[ QUOTE ]
And why do people just stay there and take a beating when they could just drop back to the $16's for a steady earn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because some people are interested in moving up in stakes and this process usually involves character building experiences like taking beatings on occassion.

I've had plenty of SNG and ring 'move up' experiences that went just horribly, but I'm glad I'm not still playing $5.50s and NL25 (not that there's anything wrong at all w/ playing those stakes).

Really, one of the best ways to improve is to play with better competition.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:58 AM

never seen this exact post before [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

they get harder every level you move up :B
Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 PM

Oh, and I find the $27s to be horrible in general! You will get some interesting calls when pushing allin, and not by small pairs, like 22 or something, but more by like hands like 86 or so.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:14 PM

I am just now trying to concentrate on playing SNG's and currently on the 16's (played in 2 with you last night) but I actually have played a few 27's in the past with some T$ I had just for kicks.

Didn't do bad considering I am not a "good" player now and certainly wasn't back then. So in my limited experience there, they didn't seem that much more difficult. I hope to move to the 27's in the next month or so if I am feel I am ready to.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:18 PM

the biggest difference I saw between the 16s and 27s when I tried to move up was that every 27 villain had AA or a 50000-out draw when they called me.

I attribute that in part to the move-up curse, though.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:23 PM

From what I've heard the $16->$27 is a bigger jump in average skill level than the from the $6.50-->$16.

Currently I play the $16s, and open a $27 in my set if the $16s are slow to start up.

I just plan to play within my BankRoll, I'll move up until I take a beating then I'll move back down and try to figure out where I need to improve.

Why you don't move up - I don't know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-18-2006, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I've heard the $16->$27 is a bigger jump in average skill level than the from the $6.50-->$16.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true in my experience. there are so many multit-tablers at the 27s, although i am beginning to see more at the 16s as well.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:36 PM

Im not so sure about the more multitablers bit. I tend to find in the 27s you dont get 1/2 decent players getting an early double up off some donk with TP to0 often. 5/4 handed pushing/calling ranges are better but ITM play is no different IMO
Old 08-18-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know this doesn't apply to everybody, but it seems like a lot of successful $16 players who move up to the $27's tend to have pretty poor results. Are they really that much harder/different than the $16's that just makes it that difficult to adjust? And why do people just stay there and take a beating when they could just drop back to the $16's for a steady earn? I myself have never even played a $27 before so I don't know, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read any replies yet, but will in a second. Here's my story: The $27s took what life I had in me, sucked it out, and spit it on the sidewalk. With 37 buyins in the red, I finally bailed. It remains the only red mark in PT with the small exception of a couple drunken forrays into the big league. (does everybody do this? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

I haven't played a Turbo since.

I switched to the regs a couple months ago and have my confidence back. I stopped 6-8 tabling and put a lot of effort into studying. I am very confident I can beat the regs up to $55. I really wish I could go back to the Turbos, but just can't find the kahonas.

I don't know why I allowed myself to lose so much at the $27s before I admitted to myself that I needed more study and less tables on the screen, but I did and am glad I did. The bottom lime is this: I had more confidence in my abilities at the $16s than abilities.

How did Johnny say it at the end of Blow? I forget.

Onaflag............