Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 08:34 AM

Default $5: River call w/ AK?

4th hand of tournament. Not much of read on anybody yet.
Ignore the size of my PF raise for the moment...

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t15/t30
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1905
UTG+1: t1470
MP1: t1455
MP2: t1470
MP3: t1245
CO: t1455
Button: t1455
SB: t1545
Hero: t1500

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls t30 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t45)</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to t60</font>, SB calls t45 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t135)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t90</font>, MP1 calls t60 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t210)</font>, Button calls t30 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t270)</font>, SB calls t30 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t300)</font>.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t360, 4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets t210</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t210 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t570)</font>, MP1 folds.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t780, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t780, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets t390</font>.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:39 AM

Default Re: $5: River call w/ AK?

Just call preflop. Raising from t60 to t90 (!) just builds up a pot and wont scare anyone away. Why are you calling the flop bet?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:40 AM

That raise pf is ugly. Fold on the flop.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 AM

I meant to raise it up PF to knock one or two out but screwed up [physically - i clicked the wrong button(!!!)] That's why I said ignore it for the moment, although it creates the situation I am facing on the river...

I called the flop wanting to see what he would do on the turn - intending to fold to a bet. Once he checked I guess I put him on a draw
Old 08-18-2006, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant to raise it up PF to knock one or two out but screwed up [physically - i clicked the wrong button(!!!)] That's why I said ignore it for the moment, although it creates the situation I am facing on the river...

[/ QUOTE ]

It was probably a better option to just call and see a cheap flop. Raising will build a big pot and your hand will only hit the flop 35% of the time
[ QUOTE ]

I called the flop wanting to see what he would do on the turn - intending to fold to a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just silly. Your hand is just Ace high, you only have a gutshot, and a runner runner flush draw investing money in this pot isn't a good idea, getting away cheaply is a much better option.

[ QUOTE ]
Once he checked I guess I put him on a draw

[/ QUOTE ]

If you put him on a draw why did you check and allow him the chance to complete his draw for free? Being passive will get you nowhere in this situation. This was an oppoutuity to take a shot at the pot and you passed it up.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:47 AM

Why call the river, you can't beat anything, you shouldn't be asking for help on it, it is a clear fold.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 AM

This is my first hand posted here, so thanks for the comments. I was reluctant to be shredded, but I am trying to learn.

I posted it because I felt I played it rather poorly as far as having diffuicult decisions to make.

My logic can be summarized as follows:

On the flop - I was offered immediate 2.7-1 odds (assuming the player behind me goes away) This seemed close enough with some outs (8-9;jacks maybe A,K)to see one more street. This is assuming I'm behind. He could be stealing himself with nothing

Missing the turn - I could have bet to take the pot down, but at this point I felt a free card wouldn't hurt me as much since I too could make my draw. I did not want to put more money into a pot I wasn't sure where I was. I thought a bet by him would tell me I was definietly behind, a check might indicate weakness.

The river - no scare cards came to complete any draws. At this point I'm happy to check it down, but figure he is likely to bet only if he hit (probably earlier) or was on a bluff. Again, the immediate odds given to me were 3-1. I figured his chance of bluffing was pretty high.

I guess the whole sequence is questionable, but did not feel like any decision i made was HORRIBLY wrong. Is my thinking completely off here?

Again, thanks for comments since this is new territory for me.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:49 AM

This early in the tournament it's probably best to just call the raise PF. If he is raising with a weak A from the button it is more profitable in the long run than re-raising and picking up the other 180 in the pot. Also....8-9 are not outs for you on the flop. First of all, that will split the pot, which doesn't even legitimately count as outs. And even if they did, runner runner doesn't even amount to half an out. Try thinking what your opponent has and why he would make this bet on the river. Granted, at the $5 there are a lot of morons, but if he bets the flop and you call and he is betting the river, you can probably (I would hope) put him on a pair at the very least....and he is probably making this bet because he doesn't think you have a pair that beats his.

Also, by showing weakness on the turn (by not betting), this only confirms his read that you have nothing. There's no point in getting too involved in a pot like this early in a tournament. People at $5 tables are not good players for the most part. This means that you will have many more opportunities (deeper than the 4th hand of the tournament) to take pots down, rather than calling and praying your ace high holds up.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:08 PM

Thanks. I understand what you are sayiing.
Correction - I meant 8-9 TOTAL outs (4 jacks, 3A, 3K, 1.5 runner flush).

I guess it really was decision for me about whether he had anything at all or was on a stone cold bluff. I felt if he had any old pair he might check it down.

I definetly try not to get invloved early in these situations because i know how crazy it can get and it is better to wait on your made hands.

Thanks again...