Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 03:53 AM

Default AKh against Shannon Shorr ME Day 1c

I meant to post this a while ago but I've been travelling a lot.

Day 1, Shannon has been very active and has about 60k at this point. I have 18k and haven't done much besides steal blinds since I got to this table around dinner.

We're at 150/300/25. Shannon raises to 1000 from UTG+1. Folds to me in SB. I look down at AKh. I re-raise to 3000. Shannon pauses for about a minute before calling.

Flop is 789 two spades one heart. I lead out for 4500.

well?

I think both of my other options pre-flop are viable. I don't hate folding because it's probable that I'm more likely to misplay this hand post-flop than he is with whatever he's holding, especially since I'm out of position. I think flat-calling is okay but I'm not sure. Too bad I'm not short enough to just push since really, I suck at poker.

Given that I re-raised, I'm not sure if I'm necessarily committed to a continuation bet here.

It's probably not a great idea to play a bloated pot with AK like I did, right?

p.s. I actually didn't know that Shannon was anyone at the time.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:57 AM

Default Re: AKh against Shannon Shorr ME Day 1c

Reraise more preflop since you are OOP. Like to 4700.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:20 AM

Don't you give away your hand by raising much more than 4k in this position? I'm sure it's inconsequential in low limit donkaments, but world class players might be able to correctly put you on AK here.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:22 AM

There's 2 ways I could play this. Folding isn't an option.

If I was going to raise, I'd make it 5k with the intention of pushing almost any flop, including that one. This play is a similar to a stop-n-go basically. It does completely commit you to the pot, but it also forces all the tough decisions on him and uses your bad position to your advantage.

Since I wouldn't be completely comfortable putting my 18k on the line with AKs preflop, I would probably just call. It disguises your hand, allows you to keep the pot small and lets you get away from bad flops with the minimum invested.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you give away your hand by raising much more than 4k in this position? I'm sure it's inconsequential in low limit donkaments, but world class players might be able to correctly put you on AK here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they might since its one of the 7/8 hands I might do that with here.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. KK QQ JJ could easily make it more than 4k. Some players will get that aggressive with AA.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM

I like <think is manditory> your preflop raise. I also think you sized that raise well.

If you are going to lead out this flop you should make it a smaller number...say 3k. Your sole goal is to get highcards to lay down...you fold to any raise...c/f to any calls. (unless you hit an A)

However, I don't like leading this board. Espically for 1/3rd ish of your stack.

Your opponent has been active, so I'd but "him?" on a pretty wide range. Notice that he's deep enough to justify raising a hand like 44 or 55 UTG+1 for implied odds (if there is another stack that size)....so we really can't narrow his range much. Also not that damn near every pocket pair AND many suited connectors can make a case for calling/raising your lead out. Because such a big fraction of your opponents raise will be willing to put you AI I think a GOOD case can be made for c/f this hand.

If your opponent has a "loose type hand" he probably has at the very least a pair + gutshot. He could easily have 2 pair, trips, or pair + openended.

And If your has a "typical UTGish hand" He may decide to look you up because that's exactly what you're repping here.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:13 AM

so i think the pf raise is ok but it depends on your plan i think - if you're thinking your going to play this like you have the nuts the whole way then i like the bet - if you're only going to play the flop if you hit then i dont - the 3k isnt really enough to drive him off his hand - got to much implied odds and for the extra 2k has good odds even if he has a low pp and he puts you on qq+.

that flop really sucks - it hits so many hands that could of called you and if im villain im thinking it totally missed your hand. unless you're bound and determined to make this hand your alamo, i check this here and dont put another nickel in unless i hit my ace or king and even then manage the pot size.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:17 AM

Why not just call and evaluate OOP on the flop. Hands like this make you commit large amounts of your stack (7+k) when you haven't even made your hand, and are very likely behind 70% of his hands he raises utg.

I used to just mindlessly raise AK and sometimes AQ from OOP out of the BB or SB, but vs. an UTG raiser I think it makes even more sense to put in a larger reraise, or to just flat call and check/fold a non-heart non-A/K flop.

Nick
Old 08-18-2006, 11:22 AM

c betting a raggedy flop against good laggy opponents never seems to work too well unless you intend to put in the third bet. but this is also a recipe for disaster when you dont have a good read on the opponent. of course your read better be perfect when you three bet a missed AK. so yeah i think there are better ways to play this hand