Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 03:04 AM

Default Backgammon book?

Paul Margils book? I have heard it is considered the bible of backgammon...kinda like supersystem to poker.

Specfically I want to learn more about doubling. If anyone could suggest a good book or even off their advice about doubling it would be much appreciated.

I recently bought Bill Roberties book and wasnt terribly impressed. He gave three match examples and the first two where stupid. The thrid was decent and provided a good glance into the thought process of playing 'dynamic' backgammon as he refers to it. He advocated the aggressive go for it style. As a super beginner I obviously thought this was insane at first but I have been messing around playing super small stakes and it appears to actually to be very effective.

Any advice would be appreciated! thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Backgammon book?

There have been some past discussions on these forums of backgammon books, but you should look at the archives of rec.games.backgammon.

The book by Robertie you encountered was either Backgammon for Winners or Backgammon for Serious Players. Those are aimed at novices, and are more suitable for beginners than Magriel's Backgammon. Perhaps you didn't like it because you are not in the target audience. Robertie's more advanced books are excellent, and it would be a mistake to avoid his other books.

There are some books which emphasize the doubling cube. Kit Woolsey's Backgammon Encyclopedia (Volume 1) has some useful reference positions. Kit Woolsey has also written a booklet on match play which has some very useful material on the doubling cube.

A good start to understanding the doubling cube is to learn how to use the cube in a race, then high anchor holding games, then some blitzes. There is a lot of room for improvement after that, but understanding these will put you ahead of most serious backgammon players.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:49 AM

Check out http://www.thegammonpress.com/ for a huge list of books. Also, judging by Robertie's track record in tournaments, I think you can depend on him for good advice.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:04 AM

Magriel's book is excellent but has almost no advice on doubling. Advanced Backgammon 1 and 2 have lots of cube examples, but if you don't like my approach to the game, try "Winning with the DOubling Cube", by Bell, or "Backgammon Excyclopedia" by Woolsey. They're all available at www.thegammonpress.com.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Magriel's book is excellent but has almost no advice on doubling. Advanced Backgammon 1 and 2 have lots of cube examples, but if you don't like my approach to the game, try "Winning with the DOubling Cube", by Bell, or "Backgammon Excyclopedia" by Woolsey. They're all available at www.thegammonpress.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very considered and considerate post allowing that the OP called one of the examples in a book of yours "stupid".

It redounds well on you. Nice to see that not only are you an expert backgammon player and theorist but a decent chap as well.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very considered and considerate post allowing that the OP called one of the examples in a book of yours "stupid".

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. nh.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 AM

There will be a Robertie book that is appropriate for your skill level unless you are too strong to be asking this question (and maybe even then).
Old 08-26-2006, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone

No offense to the author but the first two examples in his book the 'hero' rolls perfect...like everytime. They just didnt seem to provide much value to me. I said I wasnt impressed as I was looking for more insight into some not so straight forward games and how they play out...but as I said...just a beginner, so everyone can take it for its worth.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:01 AM

"Backgammon for Winners" is a book for complete beginners. The idea was just to explain some simple concepts so a complete beginner would have an idea of how the game is played. Complete beginners generally can't make much use of advanced, complex topics. That's for players who are beyond the stage of complete beginners. Does this make any sense?

There are many backgammon books which address advanced, complex, and subtle ideas. "Backgammon for Winners" isn't one of them, and wasn't intended to be.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:34 PM

Right, its not that its a bad book and doesnt serve a good purpose. Its not like the book was a complete waste of time and I didnt learn a thing. I mean, I never woulda thought you open 4-1 and 2-1 like that...kinda wild

The only reason why I felt the need to explain myself(the 'stupid') is because a couple of people in this thread where giving me flack for something which I was just a little dissappointed with. Thats all...nothing more, nothing less.