Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 02:02 AM

Default baseball trades after the trade deadline

The trade deadline was a few weeks ago. However, teams keep making trades. What is going on?

Thanks

rJ_
Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Re: baseball trades after the trade deadline

Waivers.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:08 AM

The deadline was for trading guys who didn't need to clear waivers.

Everyone who gets traded now, was put on the waiver wire first. If nobody put a claim in for him, he can be traded.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Waivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty stupid process if my understanding is correct. I team can place a player on waivers. Other teams have three days to claim that player at which point the team can decide whether or not to withdraw the player from waivers. If the player clears waivers (nobody claims him in three days) then the team can do what they please with him ie. send him to the minors, release him, trade him etc.

Is this correct, and if so what is the point of the trade deadline if players can simply be placed on waivers in order to trade them after the deadline?

edit: I guess the only difference I see is that teams could block trades by making sure certain players don't clear waivers. Is this the only real difference between pre and post trade deadline?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:29 AM

Retarded MLB waiver process.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:44 AM

When you put someone on waivers doesnt that just make them open season to be taken by any team willing to take their contract. Seems like that would negate the point of a trade. Why would i give up someone when i could just have them for free from waivers.

I'm pretty sure thats how NHL waivers are. Free player for anyone willing to take the contract on.

rJ_
Old 08-18-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you put someone on waivers doesnt that just make them open season to be taken by any team willing to take their contract. Seems like that would negate the point of a trade. Why would i give up someone when i could just have them for free from waivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

you cant have them for free, the waivers are called revocable waivers and the team can and does pull back the players from waivers.

its been said that almost everyone gets put on waivers, and the wire is jammed with players in hopes that a player can slip through and be traded to anyone.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:50 AM

No because MLB is retarded. Teams put in claims for the player. Then the team that currently has the player gets to pull the player off waivers and keep them or work a trade with a team that showed interest by putting in a claim. If it's not a team high on the waiver priority they risk a third team claiming the player during the trade. This happened during the Javy Lopez trade a couple weeks ago.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:02 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_L...ctions#Waivers

I read the waiver rules, but i dont see how a third team can steal him. Can you explain the Javy Lopez thing?

So assume team A puts Joe Blow on waivers and a team with the number 1 priority and the team with the number 30 priority both put a claim on him. The team with worse priority gives the better trade, can original team A deal with them?

If you have the number 1 priority could you basically block all trades by offering the worst trade ever for players put on the waiver wire.

rJ_
Old 08-18-2006, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you have the number 1 priority could you basically block all trades by offering the worst trade ever for players put on the waiver wire.

rJ_

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but with 2 catches.

First, the team that placed the player on waivers could just give him to you. You could be trying to block a trade then just end up for a bad player and a huge contract.

Second, the team with the 1st priority is the team with the worst record in the league. They wouldn't have much motivation for blocking attempts from a contending team to make their team better for the playoff run.