Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 01:14 AM

Default Missing Value on this turn? AA

I went to calldown mode after he led the turn after my flop cap. Too passive? Villian is unknown

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 08-18-2006, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Missing Value on this turn? AA

on the turn, it seems like the only hands where an unknown would cap that your beating is AK and KQ, and maybe a flush draw. I might throw in one more bet on the turn, but if raise, id call down. i think its too soon to assume KK.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:27 AM

Yes, I raise the turn and then go into calldown mode if 3-bet. He's going to cap preflop with KK, he's not going to bet/3-bet the flop with JJ, and he's probably not openraising from MP1 with 22 or 33 (although I think that's the most likely scenario to have you behind on the turn, it's still very unlikely).

I, too, think that you're looking at AK or some TP + FD combination...KJs may take this line, especially if it's suited to clubs, but if that's the case then he's often not going to 3-bet your turn raise anyway &amp; you still have 8 outs to a win.

Regardless of my turn action, I'm flat calling if he leads that river.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:51 AM

Since Villain didn't cap preflop, I'm not ready to put him on KK, and I doubt 22 or 33 yet.

When he 3bets the flop and leads the turn after you cap, I think he's got a strong K. AK, or KQ, or possibly KJ. So I still think there's room for a turn raise.

If he 3bets the turn, then I'd go into call down mode.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:59 AM

Go ahead and put in another raise. Then again, I might be influenced by watching player after player cap flush draws on my tables tonight.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:40 PM

Try not to give away the results (your title clearly says, "Villan had AK").

Once you've been donked on two consecutive streets by an opponent, it's probably time to call down without the nuts. In this case, I'd expect to see KJ.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:59 PM

once you say missed value, you obviously won the hand... every response you get will be result oriented.... O.o

this is likely AK, but this play is fine IMO, you can't really raise the turn w/o a good read since he might have 2 pair given the flop aggression
Old 08-19-2006, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
once you say missed value, you obviously won the hand... every response you get will be result oriented.... O.o

this is likely AK, but this play is fine IMO, you can't really raise the turn w/o a good read since he might have 2 pair given the flop aggression

[/ QUOTE ]

This cannot be 2 pair on the flop; it could be 33 or 22 pontentially, but unlikely. So, is KK. A turn raise is a must under those circumstances, if 3 bet call down pop an A river. Only would I call down vs. the most passive players, but never fold.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since Villain didn't cap preflop, I'm not ready to put him on KK, and I doubt 22 or 33 yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
thats exactly why i dont sometimes cap preflop with AA/KK. am i stoopid?
Old 08-19-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try not to give away the results (your title clearly says, "Villan had AK").

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even realize that's exacly what is implied by my title...