Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 07:41 PM

Default $50 - $3000

I was wondering if it's reasonably possible to go from $50 - $3000. I was thinking of trying this. Do you guys have any tips? I assume i'd have to start at the .02/.04 limits and work my way up. Also do you think this would be better achieved by limit or no limit? Also what time frame do yout think this should be done in? I'm thinking of giving my self till new years. Also I will not be bonus whoring. Although I'm best at H/L Omaha I was thinking of playing holdem because of looser games.

Anyways thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: $50 - $3000

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if it's reasonably possible to go from $50 - $3000. I was thinking of trying this. Do you guys have any tips? I assume i'd have to start at the .02/.04 limits and work my way up. Also do you think this would be better achieved by limit or no limit? Also what time frame do yout think this should be done in? I'm thinking of giving my self till new years. Also I will not be bonus whoring. Although I'm best at H/L Omaha I was thinking of playing holdem because of looser games.

Anyways thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very possible. Several posters have taken this size buyin and grown much (much) bigger rolls than 3K.

You asked for some tips:

Limit/NL- Doesn't matter. Do which game you like better.

You have to have a fundamentally sound game to really beat the low limits. If you are having trouble winning, take time to work on your game and don't blame the poor play of the other people at the table.

Think in terms of big bets instead of dollars at first. If you are beating a .01/.02 limit game for .06/hr you are killing it, but thinking in terms of dollar amounts will drive you crazy.

Be more inclined to protect your bankroll the larger it gets. Mike Caro has written some good essays on this.

Read and study on a constant basis.

Think about the game away from the table.

Don't set a time limit. You are setting yourself up for tilt if you get it too fast (wow- this is so easy! Easy come, easy go!) or slow (this is impossible- might as well blow off the last of my money). Just concentrate on playing (alot) of good poker and the money will come soon enough.

Don't ignore bonuses, promotions, etc. At the micro levels, you can earn 100 times what you can under normal conditions by playing favorable conditions.

Take pride in your game no matter what stakes you are playing!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 PM

You mentioned that .06/hr is "killing the game" at .01/.02 limit. What would be a similar result at .01/.02 NL? I've played limit at the micros a while and just switched to NL. I'm having trouble deciding how well I'm doing since BB/100 are misleading in NL. I only know that I'm winning, but I want to be killing the game before I move up. What gauge should I use?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You mentioned that .06/hr is "killing the game" at .01/.02 limit. What would be a similar result at .01/.02 NL? I've played limit at the micros a while and just switched to NL. I'm having trouble deciding how well I'm doing since BB/100 are misleading in NL. I only know that I'm winning, but I want to be killing the game before I move up. What gauge should I use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say anywhere from 8-12 PTBB/100 could be considered "killing" a level.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say anywhere from 16-24 BBL/100 could be considered "killing" a level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I had to. Using a limit metric to judge success at no-limit is ridiculous.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:26 PM

Very doable. But I don't like the pressure you're putting on yourself. The "got to get to 3,000 by New's Year's" pressure. Personally, I play better when I set small goals, like "make fewer big mistakes than my opponents this session."

My advice is to not focus so much on the $ amount in your bankroll. Your goal, IMO, should be to play good poker. If you're playing well, bankroll will take care of itself. I'm a prime example of "bankroll grows much faster than skill." And I would not rule out bonus whoring. There's too much money out there in bonuses NOT to take advantage of.

As far at NL2 (the .01/.02 game at 'Stars or UB), 20 PTBB/100 is very realistic.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:01 AM

Why on earth would you pass up the bonuses? I know if you start at the micros, they will be VERY slow to clear, but just don't maximize the bonus. I mean, you can always just deposit a couple dollars and go for a tiny bonus, but any bonus is better than nothing. Before I went crazy and blew my BR, I took full advantage of bonuses and it really helped build my BR. Don't be ashamed of being a bonus WHORE.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:54 AM

It's certainly possible, I made a $50 deposit once and my BR is well over 3k. I'd suggest starting out with bonuswhoring, it really builds your BR fast (bonuswhores.com). Limit or NL doesn't matter, just study hard and play.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I will not be bonus whoring. Although I'm best at H/L Omaha I was thinking of playing holdem because of looser games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bonus whoring and not playing your best game both sound like big mistakes to me.

Especially since O/8 is a great bonus clearing game as a solid strategy at the lower limits can result in many many raked hands with little risk.

You could easily get $500 in bonuses which would get you 1/6 of the way to your goal.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also what time frame do yout think this should be done in? I'm thinking of giving my self till new years. Also I will not be bonus whoring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran $100 to $5000, but it took about 7-8months and a good chunk of that was from bonuses and rakeback.

I ran well and my bankroll grew much quicker than my skill level and I've basically been over-rolled since month #2.

I wouldn't bother setting any financial targets. It's not really of any benefit.

Don't bother playing anywhere without bonuses and rakeback. There's no need to. There's no site soft enough to warrant discounting these extras.

Your timeframe is doable, by the way....but don't be disappointed if you still have a $50 bankroll by New Year's [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]