Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 09:22 PM

Default Newbie to SH, AJs...how\'s my line?

Just started playing 6max this week. Been reading a lot of the forum and other posts from the FAQ trying to get used to it. CO is 75/11/1, likes to cold call. No reads on other player. Sorry if this is basic, want to make sure I played it right. Draw didn't hit, but that's life. I figured the CO was gonna cold call, so that's the reason for the raise. Comments? Thanks for your help.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (13.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
Old 01-23-2006, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Newbie to SH, AJs...how\'s my line?

Flop: I don't think 3-betting accomplishes much here. BB has already called two cold and CO is going nowhere and he's got position on you, so you can't even get a free card out of it. Just call the raise.

Turn: You're definitely behind and I don't think your equity is good enough to raise here, even if you know CO will cold call. Just call BB's bet and hit your flush/straight on the river.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:49 PM

I would 3-bet the flop only if i was in position, the hand plays differently from then on. I'd most like c/c the turn and bet the river if i hit.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:01 PM

I like the flop 3-bet, we have enough equity that the raise is for value.

However, the turn raise is too much. This can't be a semi-bluff, because there's almost no chance at all of taking the pot down right here with your raise. And you don't have enough equity edge to raise for value, with only one card to come. Just call.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:12 PM

The flop 3-bet is for value, not for anything else, and is fairly standard. Nicely played.

Just call the turn. You're probably beaten at this point. You have a lot of outs though so call it and see what happens.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:19 PM

Yeah I was questioning the turn raise but with the T it gives me 3 more outs and I thought I was getting the odds since I was almost positive the CO would call. I have to tone down the aggression a bit...and I guess the losing too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 PM

Well you have odds to call and draw, but you don't have enough pot equity to be putting in your own raises. Odds and pot equity are different things, and this seems to be the confusion.

Pot equity represents your chance of winning the pot. Here you have 12 outs, so you'll win the pot around 26% of the time. There's 2 other people in the pot with you, so you are contributing 33% of all the money that goes into the pot. This represents a pot equity deficit, which is A Bad Thing. Contributing more than your hand is worth is losing you money. Now if there were 4 other people in here with you, you'd be contributing only 20%, and your raise would be a value raise, because in that case you'd have a pot equity edge. (Incidiently, this is why the flop 3-bet is good... you have around 38% equity and are contributing only 33% of the pot).

Your extra outs give you extra winning chances, but not enough to allow you to build the pot. So just call for your pot odds and see the river.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:24 AM

Thanks for the info Dave. Yeah, I was confusing the two...thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:24 AM

What the eff is this?

Dude, calling is okay.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:51 AM

Contrary to popular belief, calling is appropiate at times.

This turn is one of those times -- this turn raise is bananas. Your raise is not folding anybody, and you lack the equity to raise for value.

-K