Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Stud Hi, when do I double bet on 4th?

I'm getting better at Stud playing the HORSE, but I still have no idea when I should double bet or not on 4th. So far almost every time the situation has come up I was either up against multiple opponents or an opponent that looked like he had a good enough board to see another card, so I double bet whether I had trips or not. At some point I'm guessing that some less obvious situations will come up, and I'd like to have some idea on what to do.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Stud Hi, when do I double bet on 4th?

Hi, i usually double on 4th if I am not the bring-in. Reason is I usually would like most hands to fold when I have a medium pr. and make trips, and usually only a flush or straight draw will call anyway. If larger pr calls that ok, but I do not want two drawing hands to chase me. Ron [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Second reason is if I have pr Q in hole with a 9 up I would like the big pr to fold when I pr my 9's.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:58 PM

I'll check-fold 22 if I was the bringin with nothing else in my hand and there's a multiway pot. Otherwise, double-bet oh, about 99% of the time.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:35 PM

in Stud for AP, i think i remember don skansky not being a big fan of the double bet on 4th after making a strong hand because you want you opponents to make the mistake of calling. i could be dead wrong. interested in seeing some other responses.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:42 AM

who's don sklansky?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:13 PM

You double bet if you think a double bet will be called and you want callers, or you double bet if you think a double bet will cause people to fold and you want to knock out some or all of your opposition (or when a double bet will be called, but will set up your opponents to fold on a future street when you want them to fold).

That should cover most of the occasions when faced with the option of double betting. In most loose online games, you should probably bet the max on fourth when you pair your door card and have trips unless doing otherwise will cause an opponent to misread your hand AND pay you off more than if you double bet. Likewise, in loose games where they are inclined to call you down often, you should probably check small and medium open pairs on fourth. Auto-betting a paired door card is a leak of some players in these games.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who's don sklansky?

[/ QUOTE ]

as in "the don". Although I was going to talk about david's brother don who plays stud. Then thought it would be cruel.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:25 PM

Actually, 7CS4AP refers to "a few" situations where you should make the smaller bet.

I think I make the double bet at least 90% of the time that I'm not checking and folding.