Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Too Passive?

Sorry but no hand history for this one.

Party $10/20.

Three loose-bad players limp. I limp with QJo OTB. SB folds and BB (decent, but slightly too loose TAG) checks.

Flop:

Q-6-4 (suits unimportant)

Checked to me, I bet, BB check-raises, limpers fold and I call.

Turn: Q-6-4-7

BB bets, I call.

River: Q-6-4-7-5

BB bets and I call.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Too Passive?

I might've 3 bet the flop or called and raised the turn(likely fold to a 3 bet). But it could be a WA/WB situation so I could see just calling it down also. Give me a K kicker and I lean towards playing like above.

I take it the board was a rainbow on the flop? Suits on the board can be a factor in this hand as it could widen BBs range a bit if it's 2 tone.

b
Old 08-17-2006, 03:19 PM

Looks OK to me. Another option is to raise the turn and charge his outs if he has A4, A6, 86, or some weaker one pair hand. You can then check behind on the river if called.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:42 PM

I think it is too passive. I know I woud 3bet the flop every time. Do we think BB would have raised a bigger Q preflop?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is too passive. I know I woud 3bet the flop every time. Do we think BB would have raised a bigger Q preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think BB likely raises AQ but likely just checks KQ (unless suited) here.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:03 PM

This is not too passive at all. When the BB checkraises you in this spot, you pretty much have the nuts but that doesnt mean you should show further aggression. Very often the BB will have 6x here and will fold to your turn raise. Let him continue betting this weak hand so you can pick up another big bet on the river. I wouldve played your hand the same way.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is too passive. I know I woud 3bet the flop preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea. Paradoxically, the hero's hand is actually too strong to 3bet, becuz the villain is very likely to have a weak holding that may fold to pressure. I would play meekly all the way here hoping I induce the villain to put in one big bet on each big street.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 PM

Too passive. That's a hand protection checkraise against a button who should be betting anything.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Too passive. That's a hand protection checkraise against a button who should be betting anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I would never 3bet the flop nor raise the turn with this holding. Becuz the villain is likely to be weak given the dynamics of this situation. I believe there is more money to be made by playing this hand meekly and making sure a big bet goes in on the subsequent streets. I think this is a classic situation where a passive line will make/save more money than an aggressive value line against this particular opponent, becuz he is too likely to have a weak hand that may fold to pressure. I dont want him to fold. I want him to bet the turn and river, or bet the turn and check/call the river. Thats the outcome im looking for in this situation.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I would never 3bet the flop nor raise the turn with this holding. Becuz the villain is likely to be weak given the dynamics of this situation. I believe there is more money to be made by playing this hand meekly and making sure a big bet goes in on the subsequent streets. I think this is a classic situation where a passive line will make/save more money than an aggressive value line against this particular opponent, becuz he is too likely to have a weak hand that may fold to pressure. I dont want him to fold. I want him to bet the turn and river, or bet the turn and check/call the river. Thats the outcome im looking for in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak will often mean 3-5 outs and people call down far too much online.