Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Pocket 10s earlyish

I played this tournament a few weeks back and have finally got round to reviewing the hands. Look what I found. I have no idea why I folded here and don't recall anything about the villain. It's possible I crashed, or went to the toilet. I dunno.

It may be that I thought that I didn't like them enough to reraise and didn't think the bet was worth calling for set value. Seems incredibly tight.

What does anyone else do here? A Stars $30 with ~ 200 starters. Villain newish to table. I've doubled up with JJ and double-barrelled a c-bet (unsuccessfully) but villain hasn't seen that.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1565
UTG+1: t2960
MP1: t895
Hero: t2910
MP3: t2870
CO: t1560
Button: t940
SB: t2235
BB: t2700

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to t200</font>, MP1 folds, Hero folds, MP3 calls t200 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t275)</font>, 3 folds, BB calls t150 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t475)</font>.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Pocket 10s earlyish

This is definitely a call. Both of your stacks are deep enough to call a 4 x raise from EP.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:28 PM

I aggree
Old 08-17-2006, 01:55 PM

call for sure, if not a small reraise to see where u are at or possibly take it down right there
Old 08-17-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call for sure, if not a small reraise to see where u are at or possibly take it down right there

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is the way ahead. I think I must have been in the toilet.

FWIW, reraising small isn't going tell you where you're 'at'. If it's a min-raise, he's calling with anything he opened with. If he's got a really strong hand, he might deceptively call if he's got you heads up, and this spells trouble on later streets, or reraise you out of the pot when seeing a flop would have been nice.

I can't see arguments for folding, except not being at the computer. I can see other arguments for raising, such as a read that villain would open from ep with a lower pocket pair that he'll find hard to let go on a rag flop, or two high cards likewise, or because you like pocket tens enough that you want to to play the pot, heads up and in position.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:04 PM

Raising invites him to push ove the top with anything he could open 4x with, and then you'd have to fold. Call and see a flop.